Take 1 vs take 2 of a 2011 STRAIGHT 8 project

Matt Stevens

So last year I shot two Straight8 entries. One of them, F--- FACEBOOK, was not accepted and shown because the audio was faster than the video, something that I am still trying to figure out. Anyway, we did three takes.

The shoot was designed to be done in two parts. A long monologue and then an invisible cut for the finale. Takes 1 & 2 had problems at the end, so we ended up using take 3.

That would have been fine, but the audio recorder cut out during the middle of the first portion of take 3. We were unaware of the problem at the time. So we had to lop the dialogue.

Long story short, here is the version we submitted to STRAIGHT 8, but with the audio time stretched to fit the film.

https://vimeo.com/28619261

And here is the first take, but with the ending of take added. Audio on take 1 was on the money. How I wish we had been able to use that take (I was unable to shut off the camera because the trigger had jammed while filming).

Anyway...

https://vimeo.com/41206470

It's cool to look at the differences. Take 3 was transferred by the STRAIGHT8 guys in PAL. I wanted to have it re-transferred to HD, but the folks at STRAIGHT8 lost my roll of film. Long story. Don't like to think about it.

To combine the finale of take 3 with the HD transfer of take 1, I upscaled the PAL portion to 1080p and converted to 24 fps, then did a pulldown to 30.

Filmmaker8 did the take 1 transfer.

Edited by Matt Stevens

MODS, is there some reason why at times you cannot embed video? I struggled with this thing and was never able to get the videos embedded and you guys only let us edit the post for like two minutes and then we are locked out.

Nobody is reading this stuff apart from robots, visitors and posters. I doubt you will ever get a personal response from an administrator or moderator (if there were any).

Running a site like this just swamps owners with messages.