Getting around the 4GB / 12 minute limit on DSLRs

Liam Upton

Since the 12 minute limit is due to the file system of the memory cards, could you just reformat the cards as NTSC (or HFS+) in order to get around the limit? Does anyone have any experience doing this or something similar?

No, DSLR cannot write to this file structure and will prompt you to reformt the card or return an error.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

The only way 'round it is using a camera with a clean HDMI output (GH2, I think) and recording to an external device.

Normally the 12 min run time isn't an issue; except for documentary type things, in which case, I often suggest tape based acquisition for longer run time things if only to save the burden of data management on sets where, of course, you're running and gunning. Another option I used to love, but haven't used in awhile as I sold off my package, was something like an EX1 or an EX2 with 64gb cards wherein I could run all damned day.

Other options, if looking for that shallow DoF would be something like an AF101 or FS100 (I'd go with the FS personally) in addition to a DSLR for insert stuff. What's nice here, is with adapters, you could conceivably use the same glass so matching wouldn't be as big of an issue.