Left eyed operating?

• Premium Member

Hello all

I will be doing a 4 week show, all hand held with a full sized HD rig. I recently injured my right shoulder and need to flip everything over to my left shoulder and left eye (of course).

Any experience with this?

thanks in advance.

Frank Barrera

• Premium Member
1349580601[/url]' post='377662']

Hello all

I will be doing a 4 week show, all hand held with a full sized HD rig. I recently injured my right shoulder and need to flip everything over to my left shoulder and left eye (of course).

thanks in advance.

Frank Barrera

I did it once after operating for 5 long days. It's really weird at first but your brain adjusts surprisingly quickly I found.

Loved your ASC podcast BTW really great interview. Has the film had a European release?

• Premium Member

Hello all

thanks in advance.

Frank Barrera

That's how I always operate simply because I have better vision in my left eye. If you've never done it before, it may be a bit of an adjusstment at first, but you're basically doing the same thing you would be with your right eye.

• Premium Member

Thanks. The film has been rolling out very slowly all of the U.S. and Canada and will continue through Europe in 2013. You should check out the Face Book page as they always update future screenings.

f

I did it once after operating for 5 long days. It's really weird at first but your brain adjusts surprisingly quickly I found.

Loved your ASC podcast BTW really great interview. Has the film had a European release?

• Premium Member

Bill,

I am not too concerned about getting accustomed to it. I am curious tho how you use the view finder. On an ENG type camera (ie:F800) can you just flip over the eye piece with the standard mount and then flip the image in the VF menu?

thanks

f

That's how I always operate simply because I have better vision in my left eye. If you've never done it before, it may be a bit of an adjusstment at first, but you're basically doing the same thing you would be with your right eye.

• Premium Member

Bill,

I am not too concerned about getting accustomed to it. I am curious tho how you use the view finder. On an ENG type camera (ie:F800) can you just flip over the eye piece with the standard mount and then flip the image in the VF menu?

thanks

f

Not really sure about that. All of the video cameras I've used have had the viewfinder fixed to one side.

• Premium Member
1349638747[/url]' post='377675']

Bill,

thanks

f

I've seen brackets for eng camera's that adjust so you can operate using your left eye but It's still mounted on your right shoulder I think.I don't think you can flip a sony EVF to the left side of the camera.

Not sure that this is possibly. I can't imagine it is... You'd have to flip the viewfinder upside down first, then flip the image (like you guessed), I've never seen that feature before on an EVF. You can't even do that on a RED camera.

It would also get weird for you arms, probably would be super uncomfortable for your right shoulder still, since it would have to be crossing your body.

What about getting an EasyRig for the run of the show?

• Premium Member

Once the rental house is booked I will call them up and see whats possible with EVF. But the Easy Rig does seem like the smart way to go. Although the rental will most likely come out of my pocket on a low budget such as I will be faced with on this show. I have never used the Easy Rig and always dismissed it because it seems like one would be limited in certain run and gun situations. But if it will save my shoulder then I suppose its a viable option.

Not sure that this is possibly. I can't imagine it is... You'd have to flip the viewfinder upside down first, then flip the image (like you guessed), I've never seen that feature before on an EVF. You can't even do that on a RED camera.

It would also get weird for you arms, probably would be super uncomfortable for your right shoulder still, since it would have to be crossing your body.

What about getting an EasyRig for the run of the show?

Once the rental house is booked I will call them up and see whats possible with EVF. But the Easy Rig does seem like the smart way to go. Although the rental will most likely come out of my pocket on a low budget such as I will be faced with on this show. I have never used the Easy Rig and always dismissed it because it seems like one would be limited in certain run and gun situations. But if it will save my shoulder then I suppose its a viable option.

That's unfortunate you'll have to cover the cost yourself! But, I guess it's better than nothing at all.

I think you'll be good for the most part. Car stuff will be a little difficult, and anything else with low clearance. But, hey, problem solving is fun. Just don't whip yourself in the face with the clip.

Let us know how it goes! I'm 99% sure there's no EVF solution, but maybe there's something I hadn't thought of.

Dumb-side operating is no big deal. My personal experience is a short period of slight awkwardness followed by quick acclamation – probably because of the high stress motivation of the job. Also, a necessity if you get yourself into weird positions hand-held for certain angles in certain locations...

• Premium Member

Let us know how it goes! I'm 99% sure there's no EVF solution, but maybe there's something I hadn't thought of.

Problem solved!!! The DP quit and they asked me to take over. So I will now have someone else operating.

Funny business this is.

thanks for all the replies.

f