Color gels and shadows to create moods

I'm interested in testing various color gels and combinations of gels to help create strong moody images along with the use of shadows. In particular, I'd like to create an evocative, sensual and beautiful look for the people in my photography. I realize that I have to look at a lot of lighting scenarios to get the exact look I have in mind, but I was wondering if anyone had already done similar testing and had some examples to show or if anyone had advice about where to start. Thanks!

• Premium Member

I think the best place to start is by looking at other images that have the quality you want, such as movies, photographs and paintings. Then you can start to analyze what colors and qualities of light may work for what you want.

Any testing or experience that we could share isn't likely to be relevant to what you want, until we have some form of reference. If you can post some images and point out things you like, we can all chip in and share our knowledge.

Michael is absolutely right. Just try to use your instinct and current knowledge and try to deduce how to achieve what you are after. Keep careful notes concerning all variables and tweak away.

This can be done with stills and small lights to keep costs down.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies to my posting. Here are some examples of the type of lighting and mood I'd like to create. All examples are by fashion photographer Glen Luchford. Any advice on how to light for such a look would be very much appreciated.

gln20040501a001.jpg

gln20040501a003.jpg

gln20040501a005.jpg

gln20040501a006.jpg

gln20041115a001.jpg

gln20041115a002.jpg

gln20041115a008.jpg

gln20041115a009.jpg

gln20041115a010.jpg

• Premium Member

The first series looks like it uses large, soft sources far away. So you could set up some 2k or 4k fresnels at a distance. It's interesting that the sources appear in the shot, like practicals. The lights have a very smooth roll off so it's not too contrasty. Another thing is the semi-monochrome look to them. The model's clothes stand out with the vibrent reds and blue. There may or may not be a diffusion net behind the model to diffuse the background. Or maybe it's a light smoke screen. I'm sure someone with a little more experience can fill you in a little better. These are just my observations, however accurate or not.