Fantastic New Volvo Commerical - how was it shot?

I personally think that this is a great commercial, creative, funny and nicely shot. What I'm most curious about however is whether it was shot with the trucks driving in reverse, or whether it was done with them driving forward and then the image was reversed in post?

The motion has a strange feeling about it which could just be the choice of camera movement but I wasn't sure if maybe it was the fact the image is being played backwards. Does anyone know?

The objective of the spot is to demonstrate how controlled reversed-driving at low speed can be with Volvo Dynamic Steering. I doubt very much that they are playing the video backwards.

The odd camera movement might be attributed to a little stabilization made to the original footage in post. The camera is of course on a stabilized mount while JCVD and the trucks are not.

Connecting the trucks would probably just make it more dangerous.

I wouldn't be surprised if JCVD had a cable down one pant leg connecting him to a truck body. At least if he fell he would just hang from the truck and not hit the ground.

• 1 year later...

I bet it was shot driving forward and played in reverse. Why bothering and risking if it can be so easy? What could tell us the truth is the sun going up or down, too bad there is not enough footage to tell and trying frame by frame with youtube doesnt help at all.

• Premium Member

Driving forward would mean that the actor would have to get up from lowest position. The way we see it he slowly went down from a more or less relaxed position. One aid I can imagine could have been used is a quick-release net hidden somewhere at the side of a truck that can be made to spread beneath the actor to catch him in case he falls and to finish the thing.