Lack of picture sharpness in my shots

Simon Lucas

I shot a bit of Tri-X film, dev'd it and then decided to try Carl's advice. Enlarger with 80mm Componon S projecting into a Nikon d70, horizontally . Focussing is slight guess work, as it whether the sensor is in any sense parallel to the film plane.... but, I shut down the lens to f11, to help.

First attempt, I'm very happy with this. All my doubts about quality of my footage now evaporate. I'm excited – I feel that i'm getting there!

Thanks to everyone in the thread and a special thanks to Carl for this simple and elegant idea. (And I had everything I needed to do this, already!)

Notes relating to image quality below.....

TriX100asaR098m.jpg

NOTES:

I try and shoot some test footage whenever I can. This time I used a bit of Tri-X. Lots of things have contributed to this look. Mainly I forgot to reset my meter to 200ASA, so this was shot as 100ASA. So shot 1 stop over, which along my decision to to use APH09 as the dev, has made it quite grainy - but I like it. I even guessed the dev time (1:50 at 8m) as there is no real info on developing Tri-X Super 8 as a neg - so pleased to get anything this good.

I'm still confused as to whether Tri-X in a Super 8 cart is the same as Tri-X in 35mm still photography form,which as we know is rated at 400ASA. Is Super 8 rated at 200ASA because it is reversed processed or is the emulsion different? Or another factor?

So not really sure whether my film footage is 1 or 2 stops over exposed at this point.

Looks great.

And even if over-exposed, once it's in the digital domain, it becomes possible to rejig it in various ways.

attachicon.gifSuper8Frame.jpg

Yes, I also think Tri-X is quite forgiving. I'm still working on best exposure rating and dev times.

It makes life much easier to be able to adjust curves or levels. I felt it was cheating doing this at first, but now I've accepted that my film-making is going to be a hybrid process.