car commercial lighting set up

Matias Nicolas

• 2 weeks later...

Painting the car with light is a common method. A parking lot doesn't sound like soft overhead lighting is an option, but large light sources like diffusion frames would be one option. Although care would be need regarding reflections in the car windows etc.

There are generally sweet spots when shooting cars - these are at corners of the car, where the curvature of the car wraps around the lens. Also, cars are all about what you see in the reflections. Whilst you might not be able to fly a soft overhead light in a parking garage, you can certainly find a way to fly a large bleached muslin that you can shoot lights up into. This is what I've seen done with car shoots on location (mainly in dealerships and showroom floors).

• Premium Member

Hi Matias. Aidan & Brian are correct about the cars having sweet spots at the corners and that wrapping the light generally produces a flattering effect. We went through a whole demonstration on this with Bill Bennett, ASC when I was at the ASC Master Class. He emphasized to always bounce the light when working with reflective surfaces. And since you are on location with no ability to have any large overhead sources, that would probably be your best bet.

Well, finally, we did we get on wel with the car... here is a photo of the set up...

The only problem I found are reflection on the windows as Brian said above..

And, as the car is white you really don't have real issues with reflections...

Also when we shot the final pack at sunset, with the sun inside the frame, I was exposing to the sun cause as the car is white, it was never underexposed or to dark... si that was a benefit...

On the other hand, the car when shooting outdoors was allways white with hardly no reflections...

When the commercial is online I will paste the link for you to see!!

Thank you all!!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing the final product. One question though, what light is shooting through the scrim? Looks like some sort of Arri HMI, but I am still trying to familarize myself with larger powered lights so it would be great to know what that light is and how much light its putting out (and the camera ISO and F/T Stop). Thanks!