Seeking an advice

Hello guys !

I'm going to shoot a short documentary about skaters in the street , so most of shots will be with available light and I will use slr camera .

so I need some advice for shooting like camera motion , tips for using available light also rigs also if there is any reference it will be great .

Thanks in advance

I've been shooting skating using only natural light for years now so hopefully I can give you some insight. You're going to want to film at a shutter of ideally and at least 125 for motion blur and higher frame rates definitely help out with the option of slow motion. If you don't have the option of 48/60 fps or higher you'll definitely want to go with 30 over 24 although 24 will work well for life style and b roll shots. As for rigs anything to help stabilize goes a long way as I'm usually rolling along side the skater for tracking shots. Glide cam.,, a gimbal... Ect. Perhaps the most important piece of equipment in filming skating in my experience has been a fisheye lens. I use the canon 8-15mm on my mkii and the the images are fantastic. You can get right up in the action! If you have any more specific questions I'd be happy to help!

- Hunter

Has the 8mm or 16mm become passe for skate shoots? The only tape of it I've watched recently was Rodney Mullen in the early 2000's. Is an auto focus lens encouraged or just a really high f-stop?

Super 8 and 16 are still heavily used but more so in independent projects these days. All the newest corporate videos strive for the highest production value... Red, Alexa, but if you want that "classic" skateboard video look go with the Sony dcr-vx1000 with the century optics mk1 fisheye lens. At least that way you're working with a 4:3 aspect ratio and won't have any cropping issues with the 8/16. As for auto focus I don't recommend it for shooting a skater moving at fast motions and the same reasons apply to the f stop/dof.

- Hunter