Booster Lighting

Hello,

At cine gear over the past weekend I noticed some HMI's under the name of Booster lighting. After listening to their pitch I was quite impressed. I am in the market for a new 1200 par and they are claming that their light is putting out close to what the average arri 2.5 is. I am just looking to see if any of you have seen, used, bought these lights and what success you have had with them if any.

Product Website http://www.boosterlighting.com/

Thanks

Kevin

• Premium Member

Kevin,

Make sure that that you compare the two company's data carefully. Is it brighter because it's just a tighter spot? Is the bulb life the same?

good luck, JT

It most certainly is a tighter spot. The face of the lens is no where as big as an arri 1200 or 2.5. It closer to the mole daylight series 1200 in size. Their claim is, the lights were developed by a guy who used to make aircraft lights. He created a new par design that releases the heat in a very efficent way, which saves the globe life. He then juices or "Boosts" the ballast to get more from the globe. The one thing that had me going was the fact that I could touch the head without gloves...It was extreamly cool to the touch and that light had been burning all day. Im not a sucker to buy into all of the claims, but I really liked the design and the output of these heads. Plus they are close to a grand less in price then the other 1200 competition, but money is not the selling point, performance is.

My main concern is product realiablity...Thats why I came here to see if any of you fellow cinematographers had used these systems.

He then juices or "Boosts" the ballast to get more from the globe. 

Be careful, when you boost a ballast past the spec of the globe your color temperature will start to change. As you boost high, your color temperature will start to get warmer. For example, you can go from 5600K to 4800K just by boosting the ballast past the 100% setting.

Good luck!

It surely looks good, how much for this piece? do you buy it directly? the issue with HMI's is durability and a secure "response" from your ballast, it would be a shame to notice some flicker on your first or 10th project with your new lamp. But as far as it goes, looks good.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I wanted to introduce myself, I am Bob Fisher and I am the new marketing director for Booster Lighting.

To answer your questions our lights have a superior oprical design which makes our lights, unboosted, brighter than our competition. We do boost them to produce even more light, we also have an improved design that improves cooling so globes last longer boosted or not. Our ballasts are high frequency electronic with power factor correction and auto range from 120-240VAC. The light output is very smooth. Our designer has been designing HMI lights for the TV/movie industry since the early 70's. Some of his early units are still in use in Germany today. If you have any questions about our lights please contact me at rcfisher@boosterlighting.com. Sorry if this sounds like a plug but I'm just trying to answer everyones questions.

Cheers

Robert C. Fisher

www.rcfisher.com

Guest Christopher Wedding

Robert,

I was wondering about the color temperature issue mentioned earlier in the post. Is there a shift in Kelvin from the boost you give the ballast?

Thanks.

Robert,

I was wondering about the color temperature issue mentioned earlier in the post.  Is there a shift in Kelvin from the boost you give the ballast?

Yes there is a slight shift. We also supply HMI Lighting to car manufacturers like BMW for Auto shows and they demand excellent color rendition which is why most car companies choose Booster units when they purchase new units. This color shift can be countered by purchasing cooler (color temp wise) HMI bulbs, and I didn't know there were HMI bulbs with different color temps either. I have been shooting a lot of the photos (for Booster) using the Booster units (both HMI and Flos) and the color temp seems very good. The color temp seems to be bettween 5400 and 6000 kelvin. I will take my color meter in and double check today.