Help diagnosing problem with Nikon R10

John Woosley

Hi all,

So I got what I thought was a good deal for Nikon R10 that said it was untested, hoping to get lucky. Unfortunately there is some problems with the camera I need your help diagnosing to see if it's worth repairing or if I should just try to re-sell. When I put batteries in the camera, the only electrical piece that works is the slow zoom. No lights etc. The other issues is it looks like there are some kind of spots on the lens, but beneath the main glass. Is this worth repairing? Thanks all.

JW

Use the white button batterytest. The red light should come on.

Check/clean the three contact surface of the batteryclip.

Zoom should work in slow and fast when the motor is OK. It needs the 4.5 and 9 volts.

Is the lightmeter needle working? Is the EE knob working when pulled out in that it adjusts the aperture?

Be sure to have the Rew/Forw switch in Forward. When on Rewind it does only 100 frames and then stops and may appear to be broken.

The lens cleanliness is hard to judge from a distance.

Unfortunately the battery light does not come on, despite the motorized zoom working. Lightmeter does not respond, however I can adjust the EE but it doesn't seem to go past 2 (maybe 4 I'm away from it and can't remember).

I'd have to double check the reverse/forward switch, but the shutter does not activate when I press the button.

I cleaned all the battery contacts as well, but it does appear there is some very minor corrosion.

I would attemp with a brass brush, very fine sanding paper or a hard eraser.

You could also make sure that there is voltage on the contacts by testing these with a voltmeter.

Maybe one of the springs or pads in the clip isnt contacting properly.

It is obvious that there is no 9 volt as the fast zoom would need that. The slow zoom runs off the 4.5

To increase pressure on the pads you could attempt to fit a piece of thin cardboard underneath the clip.