Gel Kit and standard cutting sizes.

Hello to everyone.

I'm a young technician working has light technician in France.

Sometimes I have jobs has chief light technician (small productions) and I'm starting to have a good stock of Gel's.

I'm at that point where I need to have Gel kits to improve speed of my work.

For 4k and above fixtures I use almost all the time 4*4 Frames to avoid the melting of the gel, but for fixtures has blondes, 2.5k bulbed fixtures, Jokers etc, we're used to gel the barndoors, mostly when correcting, tinting the light or stoping it down via nd gel.

So, I would like to have bags with a kit of gel's ready to setup, but i don't know the standard sizes (to use on Barn doors) and, also, I would like to know what I should have inside.

My thoughts for a 1.2k Hmi are: (to attach on Barn doors)

.15 Nd

.3 Nd

.6 Nd

3/4 CTO

1/4 CTO

1/4 CTB

1/4 Plus Green

1/4 Minus Green

1/2 Diff to attenuate the Fixture reflector properties like the Max reflectors, open faces and Leds. YOU DO IT WITH A DIFFERENT GEL? Please share your thoughts.

Hope you got time to help me,

Best Reggards,

Bruno

There aren't really any standard sizes for cut gels, except maybe for Kinoflos. It's better to have a cut that's too big, rather than too small.

I would use wire scrims instead of ND gel. They're quicker to use and won't burn or discolor. CTO or CTS in varying strengths is standard, and Minus green is always useful to have. Other gels are down to personal taste. I try to keep it simple, and generally carry 1/4, 1/2 and Full CTS, 1/2 CTB, 1/4 Minus Green, 250, 251, Opal as a basic package.

• Upvote 1

Also roll your gel to its smallest size.

So when you grab a piece of rolled up gel that's 2ft wide, you know that it will be at least 2ft X 2ft in size. Nothing worse than grabbing a piece of rolled gel that's 3ft wide, getting to the lamp only to find its 1ft long and useless for the task.

• Upvote 1