Does the DP usually hire their own crew for a film?

I feel that in most cases, as a DP I hire those I trust and have worked with multiple times, as this experience has helped us work more efficiently together. And with the people I work for, producers and directors, they trust me in my assigned position, and therefore trust my hiring choices as well. This is where the less talked about part of DPing comes in, the leadership and team management aspect. Often if I bring my favorite Gaffer, Key Grip, or 1st AC in, they have a choice over who is below them, be it 2nd AC, Cam PA, Grip, etc.

Of course there are exceptions, for example if I'm doing a very complicated sequence over water, but my go-to crew has no experience working in water, I will likely outsource for those more experienced for the job. This is where maybe the producer or director knows someone, and therefore does the hiring.

Like most things, this all depends on the "level" you're working on. Since I started making films in high school, to now non-union freelancing, I feel I have had full discretion on who I hire to be apart of my team. The only time I haven't is when maybe the director or producer are looking to bring in one of their people, either as a favor or a suggestion. In terms of union, I'm not up to that level yet, so I don't quite know. Also I should mention, technically speaking, I "hire" them, but I'm not the one sending them emails of contracts and such. I forward their contact information on to the production and they take care of the rest.

Here's a list of positions that I can have a choice over who is hired. I've bolded those who often have say in who is hired below them:

Camera Operator (Steadicam operator, crane operator, gimbal operator, underwater team, drone team, etc)

1st AC (focus puller)

2nd AC (in some cases also a film loader)

Camera Tech (for specific scenarios)

Camera PA

Gaffer/CLT

BBE/ACLT

Electric/SLT

Dimmer op/Board op

Key Grip

BBG

Grip

Rigging Team

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Technically the line producer “hires” the crew, they work for and are paid by the production. But a department head like a cinematographer will select the key crew members under them for approval by the producer. I usually find the A & B operators, A-camera 1st AC, DIT, 2nd Unit DP, Gaffer, and Key Grip, and they in turn find the people under their supervision. But it is often a group effort to find a crew if you’re not bringing in people you have worked with before... but then I have to interview them. 

Also any person likely to have to work closely with the director like the A-camera and Steadicam operator or the 2nd Unit DP should be approved by the director as well, perhaps even interviewed by the director.

• Upvote 2