Sign in to follow this  
Erren Franklin

Processing and Scanning

Hey everyone,

Thanks again to anyone and everyone who responded to my questions about regular 8 cameras.

This particular issue has likely been rehashed many times in this forum by now, but since I'm new and the most recent discussion I found regarding this topic was in 2018, I would like to ask what people's current preferences are for labs and for scans. Generally I process with Spectra and have my scans done at Movette film transfer locally here, where I live, in SF. Movette does a cheap fresh film 720p scan but also does 1080p and 2k for regular 8 and super8, and I generally like their prices. Spectra's website seems to indicate that their scanning technology is vastly superior to most other places, and Pro8mm is now marketing a 6.5k scan. I'm starting to worry that even a 2k scan isn't sufficient... is that foolish? Also I'm about to start hand-editing a lot of my reversal regular8 film and I want to have high quality master scans of the unedited film, and I'm wondering if I should get the best scan that I can afford. Another issue is I find Spectra's pricing structure for scanning to be confusing. So with certain variables in mind- pricing, quality, customer service and professionalism- I'm wondering if y'all have thoughts on this topic.

Thanks to all!

I found the the Grading, DI, and Telecine section of the forum and was able to get a lot of good information, so I think I'm good, unless anyone feels inclined to anything.

Thanks!