My 16mm wedding film

Matt Wells

It's something to think about, that is for certain. Maybe my S8 cameras might turn me a job after all. Since it's going right to video, shooting V2 stocks on an S8 would probably give good results, none of my 16mm's take a 400' magazine but I have a S8 that does, who'd figure. 8)

I used to take my Glidecam along and try to do some stuff with it.....it came out great but it's a hassle, and the stills photographers always think it's their "show". Still photographers at weddings are butts and they've ruined so many of my shots. :angry:

Are you telling me YOU set all that crap up just for a wedding video? That's not the DJ's stuff? Seems like overkill to me. I hope you're charging an arm and a leg! :)

Hi Mate,

i hear you loud and clear, you know thats why i want to take that GLidecam V20 on board with me to the next wedding... just this weekend, yesterday, i shot a wedding... couple is walking out of the church i am to capture the walk out and would you know it, the STILLS man is infront of me... you know, this used to happen so often, and i could not remain on the tripod cause of it,... i had to do stuff handheld just so i can elbow him/her over those shots. I figure having the large Glidecam V20 around me might scare them a bit :D

These days though, I bring a "Tripod Man" with me... ok, so i named him "Tripod Man" even though he doesnt have anything to do with the tripod in that sense, but rather, everytime i am on the tripod he acts like my bouncer, literaly, chasing anyone or anything that might be in my shot... It helps if he is a big/scary guy too, and since I am Serbian and all my mates are giants, i usualy just take one of them along...

It has helped extremely, since many photographers tend to stick to you like glue, especially if they are unexperienced and dont know where to go for the best angle.... of course the worst are the FAMILY and FRIENDS with little digital camera that want to capture a shot themselves with their handy-cam or a mobile PHONE :huh: , stepping in between you and the couple... best way to deal with this i found is to address the crowd, even if the priest does it before they are let out the church, telling everyone to step out of the way for the cameras... it helps to know the priest well, and after even 20 weddings in his church you seem to get the bond :D

Regarding the lights, yeah, unfortunately i have to log them all... and no i dont charge arm and leg... i get my work through word of mouth, since folks here usualy get live bands with no light set-ups... many guests see what i do and book me in regards to that, and not through any forms of advertising... i kind of find that now i cannot get out of it, everyone that walks through my door wants the "works" and wants the same low price... and i am competing with amatures that do it all on their handy-cams for dirt cheap, without editing and the rest of it.... but try explaining that to the client?! They just see CHEAP wedding video add and go for it... :o they should know better...

sorry i wrote too much again <_<

Cheers,

• Premium Member
Would love something with a 400ft mag though, even another MOS camera.

With a camera like the K-3 you could buy four of them, load them all before the shoot and just pick another one up when you need it. Of course you'd have to have them checked out and maintenanced properly, but I've had really good luck with mine.

With a camera like the K-3 you could buy four of them, load them all before the shoot and just pick another one up when you need it. Of course you'd have to have them checked out and maintenanced properly, but I've had really good luck with mine.

I have 2 K3's, so I know what that's like. 8) Swap on the run, I call it.

lav wrote:

These days though, I bring a "Tripod Man" with me.....and since I am Serbian and all my mates are giants, i usualy just take one of them along...

HAHAHA...nice!

lav wrote:

of course the worst are the FAMILY and FRIENDS with little digital camera that want to capture a shot themselves with their handy-cam or a mobile PHONE

and

i kind of find that now i cannot get out of it, everyone that walks through my door wants the "works" and wants the same low price... and i am competing with amatures that do it all on their handy-cams for dirt cheap, without editing and the rest of it.... but try explaining that to the client?! They just see CHEAP wedding video add and go for it...

friend, I don't think I've EVER been more on the same page with anybody. I feel your pain. That's why I'm currently stuck trying to think of what to do.....quit weddings and move away, get a regular job so I can enjoy film/video again....or, keep trying to sell myself and services to southern california residents who don't appreciate all the work that goes into it, and continue being unhappy every frickin' weekend. *sigh*

friend, I don't think I've EVER been more on the same page with anybody. I feel your pain. That's why I'm currently stuck trying to think of what to do.....quit weddings and move away, get a regular job so I can enjoy film/video again....or, keep trying to sell myself and services to southern california residents who don't appreciate all the work that goes into it, and continue being unhappy every frickin' weekend. *sigh*

Mate, I am sneaking in 5min here to reply between editing 2 weddings - we got a wedding season here, crazy time of the year;

I've given up making weddings into art, they are a job like any other, and are meant to be handeld as cold blooded as possible. If you care too much for it you only get dissapointment when you see that your client has no clue what you did... I considered moving away too, there is no other way to quit this, but have instead decided to attempt to make a 16mm feature first... getting back into the state of mind where lighting, composition of the shot, camera movement and good acting meant something...now i need weddings, to help pay for the film...

Funny thing though, as soon as I decided to do a feature, demand for my weddings increased :D go figure...

I wouldnt know what to suggest, to stop doing weddings and do another job maybe a good option, but cutting weddings in your own time, from your own home/studio, is not a bad deal for a job...

-

To all the guys doing Weddings currently on 16mm, I love what you do! I wish I had the passion and the drive of doing the same for my clients, ufortunately I will just have to wait till one of my family members or close friends gets married before attempting something like that. Never the less, this forum and this thread was an inspiring one for me.

-

I do wonder though, does doing weddings long term ruin your "eye" for quality shots??

Think about all the times you settled for the unsteady, badly framed shot, just cause you had to - as you had an unknown child cramping around your leg and another pulling on your jacket as the bride and groom danced their slow dance? Does the "It'll do attitude" take over after doign 50 weddings for clients that dont really know the difference? I wonder...

PS. A photographer decides to climb a drunk guest, real smart...

http://www.lavproductions.com/pics/misc/ph.jpg

Amazing stuff guys it really looks awsome and gets that HOME MOVIE look out of wedding videos. Hey if they want a good looking wedding filmed they are gonna have to dish out the money.

I have to say though that the cost is not all that much to add.

The average cost charged for wedding videos in the UK, with a copy supplied edited on DVD or vhs, is £1000 - £1,500. This is for something shot on mini DV or DV cam, or dare I say it, something like Hi8, and with minimal time taken editing, and some cheesy titles etc.

For my own wedding we shot a running time of 35mins in 16mm, which cost around £500 to buy, process and transfer. I think that this is not bad to make the film really nice and unique amongst wedding videos.

I just checked, for local wedding videographers, the going rate is between $250-$650, covers the ceremony only, and is unedited or quick edited. One even offers same-day service at the reception.

I'm tempted just to post that I'll do a wedding for $5000, on film, just to see the reaction. If it's not positive, I'll raise the rate to $10,000.

No, I don't want to do wedding videos, but if they're willing to dish out, I'm willing to listen.

• 1 month later...

Congrats on your wedding.

I would love to see some clips from your wedding if you'd share them. I am excited to join this board as I shoot 16mm & Super 8mm at weddings professionally. It's really hard work shooting 16mm at live events like weddings.....so i'd love to see how it came out!

Peace

kristen*

www.blissvideoproductions.com

I haven't updated the online clips in about a year, in Feb I will have my 16mm demo up and more Super 8mm events up. Would love to see other people's sites too! I only book a certain number of weddings each year, so I would love to have other companies to refer. Doesnt matter whether your in the states or Europe, I travel throughout the world for this and my clients just want excellent filmmaking.

peace,

kristen*