was tv-Series "24" shot by a sony HDR-FX1 ?

Tim Zeng

• Premium Member

I really don't know where these rumors are coming from, it is pretty obvious from the look that this show is shot on film...

'24' is shot on 35mm. Panavision cameras, Kodak 5229 stock. For the last 2 episodes of season 4 they used the Genesis as 'C' camera along their regular film cameras.

I really don't know where these rumors are coming from

I think the rumors come from that they are using video to shoot what ends up on the screens behid the actors whild driving sometimes and so people hear they are using video. There was some discussion about this, but it was a while ago and i am not sure if it was here or somewhere else.

Edited by Mark Douglas

I think the rumors come from that they are using video to shoot what ends up on the screens behid the actors whild driving sometimes and so people hear they are using video. There was some discussion about this, but it was a while ago and i am not sure if it was here or somewhere else.

American Cinematographer a few months back.

And my english teacher in high school insisted that "Empire Strikes Back" was shot on S-VHS, I kid you not.

American Cinematographer a few months back.

And my english teacher in high school insisted that "Empire Strikes Back" was shot on S-VHS, I kid you not.

LOL Now thats funny. I had a similar argument with a teacher back in MS who was making us cut out everything to furnish a house from a Sears catalog who said"Don't look for a VCR in any catalog older than 1989 because thats before VCRs were invented"

Its amazing what great minds we have teaching the children of tommorow.

Trouble with your teachers statement is JVC introduced SVHS in 1987, "Empire Strikes Back" was filmed in 1980?

Also show him this link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080684/technical.

Something I didn't know was that some of the special effects were shot on 65mm.

Have any of you guys seen the new remastered DVDs of the first three Star Wars. Wow all my friends were commenting on how good they look. I think people love the dark rich blacks and the low grain most about the new transfers. Oh course alot of people don't like some of the newly added effects and clips. I think the first three Star Wars blow the newest ones away in terms of storyline and realistic look. The newest ones look to CG and slick.

• Premium Member

Most of ILM's work back at the time of "The Empire Strikes Back" involved shooting elements in VistaVision (35mm 8-perf horizontal) -- not 65mm 5-perf, which is what Doug Trumbull was using over at his company for the efx elements on "Close Encounters", "Star Trek: The Motion Picture", "Blade Runner", etc.

The idea being, whether using VistaVision or 65mm, that larger format origination would help offset the increase in graininess from optical printer compositing, plus these larger formats were spherical-lensed compared to the 35mm anamorphic live action productions that they were often being used for. It was easier to shoot miniatures, matte paintings, and do compositing with spherical-lensed photography.

I don't recall any 65mm elements being shot for "The Empire Strikes Back".

"Star Trek: The Motion Picture" had efx work shot in both VistaVision and 65mm because the work was split between Doug Trumbull and John Dykstra, and Dykstra's Apogee company was geared up for VistaVision.

"Tron" was unique in that all the non-efx live-action was shot in 65mm but the efx work was almost all done in VistaVision.

Guest matthew david burton
I really don't know where these rumors are coming from, it is pretty obvious from the look that this show is shot on film...

These rumors obviously come from people who have no idea what they are talking about. Thats probably about 98% of the population of the earth and so it's not surprising that these rumors crop up.

-matt

Trouble with your teachers statement is JVC introduced SVHS in 1987, "Empire Strikes Back" was filmed in 1980?

Thanks for the timeline- apparently my memory has fuzzed over the years, because this was right after the movie came out, he must have told me it was shot on regular-old VHS, as S-VHS apparently didn't appear 'till I was long gone from High School.

There. Empire Strikes Back was shot on VHS, not S-VHS. Glad THAT'S cleared up! B)

I applogize David, I was just reporting what IMDB said in the Tech specs section of Empire Strikes Back. Now I will have to wonder if the other information on that site is correct.

---IMDB is good about giving incorrect information in the TechSpecs, particularly with foreign films.

My biggest peeve is with their Techspec for 'Ofelas' aka 'The Pathfinder' 1987 Norwegian.

That was made in Super Panavision in Lappland. Equipment from Samuelsons, London.

They listed it as 35mm Panavison anamorphic. I wrote in to correct this, and they have since dropped the Panavision name, but still list it as 35mm anamorphic.

Thanks for the timeline- apparently my memory has fuzzed over the years, because this was right after the movie came out, he must have told me it was shot on regular-old VHS, as S-VHS apparently didn't appear 'till I was long gone from High School.

There. Empire Strikes Back was shot on VHS, not S-VHS. Glad THAT'S cleared up! B)

Patrick nice website! Definately not any VHS material on there.

How do you get that high key chearful lighting on all the Kraft product commercials?

thanks much- the website is still a bit in-progress...

the commercials were all shot on Hi-8...(just kidding)

the outdoor spots were shot on 5245, indoor ones on 5246. Colorful production design is a big help (look at their shirts, ack!) Outdoors we tried to keep everyone in backlight (or silked frontlight), and fill with shiny boards, big griffs and HMIs. Indoors, HMIs bounced off big foamcore panels, hot backlights and WAY more fill light than I would normally use (HMIs, Kinos and foamcore). Camera was a G-II, 17.5-75 Primo (Cooke 20-60 for the BBQ sauce spot), and primo and ultraspeed "Z" primes.