Was there any cine' lab trade magazines from back in the day?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

DSC01494%20-%20657.JPG

Been finishing up prepping books / mags / paper for a scanning session. Spent the last 2 weeks prepping them...cutting off bindings, labeling them, microwaving mold issues and more. Within this hoard of about 10 linear feet of paper to be scanned, I have about 13 inches of 'Photo Lab Management' magazine. It was a trade mag for the photo lab industry before things went digital and a little beyond.

DSC01498%20-%20589.JPG

Super, super rare. You can't even find out anything about it online. I acquired them as a donation. I had solicited the owners to sell them to me. And to my surprise they donated them to my Archive. I only had to pay for shipping, which was about $50. But it was not as cut and dried as that. Took quit a few months to complete the transaction.

Anyway...

Back in the day, did they make similar trade mags for cine' labs?

• Premium Member

ACVL (Association of Cinema and Video Laboratories) *might* have had a newsletter, but I know they put out a Handbook of Recommended Procedures.  I think the last one was the 5th Edition, which a copy resides in our filing cabinet.

I think they are defunct (the current web presence is for a video lessons and unrelated) but their address was:

The Association of Cinema and Video Laboratories

7095 Hollywood Blvd., Suite #751

Hollywood, CA 90028

Other than that, some commercial labs in the USA put out their own bulletins/newsletters, like WRS in Pittsburgh, PA. and  MPL in Memphis, TN., among others.

I have thick folder of MPL bulletins in my basement, but they are concerned with A/B rolling and assorted suggested standards for film processing and editing.

Thanks for the replies!

Frank, are you going to scan your material and put it online once you retire? I found this online.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=7241548

Looks like the still labs were better organized with trade publications. I would have thought well-funded Hollywood would have done better. 

'My comments are not associated with any institution as of 5/28/23.'

Did you quit the LOC Frank?