Arriflex SR3 upside down

Raymond Zrike

Havent done it myself, but I've seen an SR3 run at motion control speeds upside down with no problem. somewhere theres some BTS from a Matt Smith era Doctor Who episode where they did dry for wet with a submarine and they were rocking an SR3 upside down. At 24fps or high speed it might not hurt to run 100ft through with the camera upside down just to make sure there are no surprises, but one imagines it should be fine

• Like 1

• Premium Member

sideways is often more problematic with cameras than upside down because when mounted sideways the guide roller will have more friction and work to run the film onto the takeup spool and the feed and takeup rolls may not stay at perfect positions so they may create friction and noise in the worst case.

I know people have used cameras including SRs sideways like this so it might not be an issue if observing it carefully and stopping it immediately if hearing weird noise. It would surely cause more wear to the magazines to run the camera on its side but other than that it should work.

Upside down should not be an issue with film cameras as long as the weight can be supported correctly and the mags etc. don't misalign during handling or shoot when they are hanging from the locking pins instead of just resting on the camera like when operating normally.

Weird sounds tell a lot when doing tests. If something does not sound right then you will have an issue and should make some changes before trying again

10 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

sideways is often more problematic with cameras than upside down because when mounted sideways the guide roller will have more friction and work to run the film onto the takeup spool and the feed and takeup rolls may not stay at perfect positions so they may create friction and noise in the worst case.

"Sideways" as in the camera is rotated so that the frame is now vertical? Or "sideways" as in the camera is tilted 90 degrees up or down? The former is not something I'm planning on doing while the latter is.

13 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

don't misalign during handling or shoot when they are hanging from the locking pins instead of just resting on the camera like when operating normally.

Interesting. I'll probably keep my hand on the top (now the bottom) of the mag the whole time so maybe that won't be an issue.

14 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

Weird sounds tell a lot when doing tests. If something does not sound right then you will have an issue and should make some changes before trying again

One of my mags made some incredibly weird noises last shoot. Took it out of commission immediately. Nothing worse than a film camera making sounds you haven't heard before.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Raymond Zrike said:

"Sideways" as in the camera is rotated so that the frame is now vertical? Or "sideways" as in the camera is tilted 90 degrees up or down? The former is not something I'm planning on doing while the latter is

Generally every position where film rolls are vertical is better than them being horizontal or tilted off from the normal vertical alignment. If the rolls are off vertical they can misalign on axles and start to drag to the sides or even start to wobble depending on the camera and angle and if there is external stress like heavy vibrations or bumps etc.

Tilted up or down is normal for all cameras, just the sideways with vertical frame may be problematic as it may restrict the film rolls turning freely and may affect how the film spools on takeup side.

Upside down or extreme tilt should not matter any more than upside down. Most cameras have sturdy enough mag locks to lift the whole camera from the mag so it should stay in place though sound may be slightly different

• Like 1