Arriflex 16S/B or Eclair NPR?

Neal Levendel

I am in the process of selling off an Arriflex 16S. Initially, I was going to use the money to get an S/B so I could have a wider choice of lenses and something in slightly better cosmetic condition, but now I'm wondering if I should be considering an Eclair NPR, since it's supposed to be quieter, usually crystal controlled, and more ergonomic , which means I could use it on a wider range of projects. The problem is, investing in an NPR would be a bit of a jump into the deep end for me. I don't know much about it, and I can't find much information online. Additionally, I'm more familiar with how to use the Arri/what accessories are available for it. I'm curious what you guys think about either camera.

• Premium Member

I have an Eclair NPR and it’s the main camera I shoot on. I love it. Like anything you just have to use it and it will become like second nature. Loading film is very simple. Mine was a bit loud until Bernie serviced it, now it purrs. It is a beautiful camera. It’s a beast though, just massive and the tripod I have for it, which was specifically made for this camera, is so heavy - you really gotta plan out what you’re shooting. I realize that back in the day it was a run & gun camera but even my Eclair ACL is noticeably easier to handle for shoulder shots. Still though, it’s just a great camera all around- very reliable and you really can do sync sound with it if it’s been serviced.

• Premium Member

If a camera fits almost every project you are likely going to shoot in the next couple of years, then that is likely the right choice. it sounds like the Arri S may not be versatile enough for the work and might necessitate an upgrade pretty soon after which you would still need the NPR and may not end up with ideal lens choices for the NPR kit if the lenses were only bought the Arri in mind assuming the NPR would not be needed.

Arri bayonet can be used on NPR with adapters so that should not be a problem though, just make sure when buying lenses that your possible future cameras can use them too and them not being too camera specific lens choices... it would be very critical to be able to use your lens inventory with as many different cameras as possible because lenses are expensive to purchase and you will want to avoid needing to purchase new lenses (even the same lens just a different mount) just because a camera has different mount, it must be possible to just use an adapter to get the existing lenses to work so that you can manage with one lens set no matter what camera body you use.

The NPR is not ergonomically as great as the ACL but is supposed to be easier to find original motors for and has more powerful motors so running 400ft mags is easier.

the NPR is mechanically a bit complicated, especially the magazine, so it would be a pain to service it if doing it by yourself, it just has bazillion small screws and tons of unnecessary additional parts making it mechanically 5x more complicated than it should be by my opinion. if you have a good technician available who is familiar with them, then it would not matter at all and the camera is otherwise great if it is serviced well and if the weird motor placement does not cause problems with operating. But just don't expect to be able to CLA it by yourself even if familiar with cameras... the professional technician costs need to be calculated in the total price when considering the NPR ?