Existing location fluorescent fixture or swapping them out

Wenqi Wei

Here's are a few screen grabs from the movie Dear Evan Hansen which I watched and really love.

From their production design article I read  it looks like this is a real location instead of a set, and they had to work fast so I assume they didn't have the luxury to alter any existing overhead lights.

So my question only pertains to the shoots that take place in a real location, NOT on a set/soundstage scenario where 100% will be built by the DP&Gaffer:

How likely are these fluorescent in the shots really these location florescent fixtures already existing inside the building? It isn't hard to imagine these overhead florescent lights in so many scenes featuring an interior scene of an office/library/grocery store...Are DPs really Ok with the fact that what's available there illuminating the scenes(regardless of budget and time)? If so, can these existing location florescent really meet the 'Cinematography standard' along with the creative need(intensity, shape, beam angle, color temp, height, fall-off, etc)?

Not sure if this has been discussed before in this forum, but please allow me to make this post again. I'm sure so many of you guys are experts on this topic, any answers will be much appreciated!

dear-evan-hansen-2317dbe-1.jpg

Dear-Evan-Hansen-film-TIFF-review.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Premium Member

You many times get into a situation where you can't change out the fixtures in a real location Depending on how bad they are, in terms of floro, often I would gel my lights to match the "badness" (generally with +green) and then add a - green filter to the camera (on film) to get it back to "normal."

Generally the floros aren't really lighting the scene as much as they are lighting the space. You'll bring your own lights in to modulate what's there, and employ flags on stands to kill a floro fixture here or there (or roll the tubes if you can).

Also, depending on the tubes, you may replace specific tubes with kinos.

In reality there are so many variables in working in real locations that you have to get in there to scout so that you can have a plan of action. There are multiple ways to attack this problem which don't involve removing every tube.

The biggest problem I get into these days are cheap LEDs which may have OK color, but flicker like mad on camera.

Hi Adrian, thank you for our response.

Yes I understand you can bring own film lights into the scene or possibly flag off certain overhead florescent but in some movies I do see it's a one Steadicam shot following the character, so I guess what's in the frame has to be what's lighting the scene.

• Premium Member

Yeah for something like that you work with what you have, and adjust what you can to get it as good as possible. Sometimes you really can't do anything.

I once shot in a market where every light was green and all we could do was throw a flb on the camera, and shoot.

When you are in that type of situation , production design, shot and lense selection, and wardrobe can really save you. Same with blocking. For example --.ugly wall over there, ok throw in some background in wardrobe that helps hide it!

Edited by Adrian Sierkowski

if they had a lot of setups in the space and this is a million dollar + movie I would guess they could change out the fixtures. All you have to do is pop out the panel and put either your own color corrected fluro tubes or led tubes in there. with maybe a few hours of prep in that hallway a couple folks could knock that out for you.

that said working with the tubes there can be ok. most of them have a lower cri then you'd like and can make the scenes color a bit muddy.

Edited by Albion Hockney

• Premium Member

Most shoots would change out the tubes to daylight balanced fluorescents since often these scenes have daytime views out the windows. But if there are minimal windows and the tubes aren’t horrible then you could use the existing tubes (after swapping out any mismatched ones) and gel any tiny windows to match that color.  Smaller spaces you could afford to put LED tubes inside the housings if they fit.