Adapting a CP-16 viewfinder to an Eclair ACL

Geffen Avraham

Hi! I recently acquired an Eclair ACL, a very early model with the original Angeniuex viewfinder. I've heard that CP-16 viewfinder might be made to work with it, and I have two of them lying around.

But I've also heard that unlike the NPR, they cannot be mounted without an adapter. Has anyone ever tried to adapt a viewfinder to the ACL like this, and are there any resources I should know of if I try?

Thanks

• Premium Member

you need to have a custom mount made for it. but optically it does work, I tested it by handholding the cp16r finder on the viewfinder opening of the ACL.

one could make a usable mounting system by oneself if not wanting to pay someone else to design and machine a suitable mount. a metal lathe helps if you want to make a mount by yourself but it is not absolutely necessary, one could manage with a press drill and some hand tools if necessary

• Premium Member

if your camera has the original viewfinder mount then it might work without modifications, I don't have viewfinder mount on my camera so cannot say for sure. Would be easiest if it just screws on in place of the original finder. Without the mount on the camera body it gets tricky and time consuming as new mount needs to be made

The CP Viewfinder has the same mount as the removable Angénieux VF of the ACL (and both kinds of NPR viewfinders).

The Original ACL Angénieux viewfinder is not removable (unless you use tools), so they are not compatible.

The mount for the later ACL Kinoptik viewfinder is also not compatible.

Optically, I'm not sure.  Aapo's hand-held test may be correct, but hard to tell without an actual mount.

Below is the part you would need.

acl_1_5_641_02.jpg

• Premium Member

OK so wait, I have an Angenieux VF on my ACL, and the mount looks exactly like that (well, flipped 180 degrees but I guess it doesn't matter.)  It's the reorientable VF.  None of my CP or NPR VFs fit it.  The inner barrel is too big to fit in the hole of that mount.  Are there more than two kinds of removable VF mount for the ACL?  

Duncan

Edited by Duncan Brown

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Boris Belay said:

I believe the NPR and CP viewfinders are swappable...

That I can confirm.  I had a CP-16R viewfinder on one of the NPRs I sold.  And both my NPRs accept both the Kinoptik (non-orientable) and Angenieux (magically-orientable!) viewfinders.  So I think NPR is the easy world of interoperability with all NPR and CP-16R viewfinders... while ACLs are the land of frustration, where even the two choices of VF don't interchange with each other, and none of them interchange with NPR.  Darn you, Eclair!

Duncan

On 12/8/2023 at 5:46 AM, Boris Belay said:

The CP Viewfinder has the same mount as the removable Angénieux VF of the ACL (and both kinds of NPR viewfinders).

The Original ACL Angénieux viewfinder is not removable (unless you use tools), so they are not compatible.

The mount for the later ACL Kinoptik viewfinder is also not compatible.

Optically, I'm not sure.  Aapo's hand-held test may be correct, but hard to tell without an actual mount.

Below is the part you would need.

acl_1_5_641_02.jpg

I guess what I will need to know is the "flange distance" for the CP-16 VF on the ACL - mine is an early model that has the original viewfinder. I do have a CP-16R, so if I study the mount on it, I can likely model and recreate it - but getting the flange distance right seems hard.

On 12/16/2023 at 12:58 AM, Geffen Avraham said:

I guess what I will need to know is the "flange distance" for the CP-16 VF on the ACL - mine is an early model that has the original viewfinder. I do have a CP-16R, so if I study the mount on it, I can likely model and recreate it - but getting the flange distance right seems hard.

You may be able to approximate the ideal position of the CP VF mounted to the ACL. This assumes that the optical path in the CP-16R is not significantly shorter than that in the ACL.

- Unscrew the mount plates on the ACL and the and the CP-16R.

- Place the CP VF with mount plate on the ACL body and check the eyepiece diopter range to see if it focuses at any point. Note where it focuses (+ or - diopter setting).

- If you can't find focus, centre the diopter adjustment and try incrementally lengthening the optical path. You can just hold the VF and shift it, that may give an initial idea. You can add crude shims either side of the VF port. If you can find focus, measure the shim thickness.

I'm assuming that the screw holes for the ACL and CP do not magically match. If adding a shim you can use that opportunity to offset the screw holes. The CP VF mount screws to the shim, and the shim screws to the ACL body.

If the existing optical path is too short for the above, you could try adding a + diopter. Cheap reading glasses work for quick experiments. Small + and - diopters are cheap on eBay, if you can find one small enough, and you probably can.

Gregg.