Lighting Day Interiors

Hey Guys! I’d like to know what your thoughts/experiences/preferences/approach about the topic below….

What’s your favorite way to light Day Interiors ?

Bounced Lighting, what kind of fabrics?  Ultrabounce? foam board? bluff bounce?

Or Lightning through ( m40 through difusión and which?  Do you use grid? How far ? )

Below I'm attaching two different frames I shot,

1. I did bounce n m40 + m18 on a foam board at 3.5 meters.

2. the other one I placed  the sources  2 m40 through a 1 stop silk at 5-6 meters.

Bounced 1.png

Bounced 2.png

Shooting Trough.png

• Premium Member

Really depends on the interior and the intent. I generally like to have soft lighting somehow and then will often want to add some hard light slashes in the background often with a jolekos type thing. 

These days I've gotten lazy and lucky enough to be able to do a lot with 1200ds, specifically so I can easily dim them, but if I'm working with the right budget and manpower I'll start opting for 4k/6k/9k hmis and scissor lifts ( if possible).

One of my east coast tricks is I'll often want to add a 2L or something similar right above the window to push soft light further into the interior from the same direction as whatever light happens to me there. 

Another trick that I sometimes like and sometimes hate is CLRS with something like a joker 1600 or a m40 from the ground into them for a hard kick but also throwing a 8x8 or 12x12 UB behind to give some softness as well.

Really all comes down to the reality of the location and budget you're working with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

My pleasure. If you're interested, here's a simple day int set up with just 2 lights.

Natural sunlight on the large paper windows camera right, then a totally naked 600X for the hot spot in the background.

On the close ups, just a 300x with a Litedome 150 played right off of camera at I think something like 10~15%

FX3, Base 800/ Cine EI 500, and something like a 2 or 2.8 with  1/8 bpm. I think white balance was around 6500k, but i don't really remember.

This also really isn't the right LUT for it, but it's all I had to get it out of SLOG since I don't have studio resolve. This is through lightworks which somehow plays back XAVC and with whatever Venice LUT they had built in the free version of lightworks

Screenshot 2023-12-18 143821.png

Screenshot 2023-12-18 144017.png

Edited by Adrian Sierkowski