Mark Jenkin, maker of the 16mm "Bait" explains his non digital workflow.

Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member

Cinema began as an Artisanal, hand-crafted process.  As corporations began to scale-up production for the sake of pure profit did the bulk of processes begin the gradual but incessant march away from Artisanal to mechanized production.

Pathe, Lumiere and Griffith gave way to the industrialized Ince, Paramount and Fox;  hand processed silent films gave way to machine processed sound film and so on.

I find it humorous that those who can purchase the required equipment to make a 8/12K feature film for less than the price of a car, feel threatened by someone processing their film by hand in coffee enough to call them a "hipster"!

Videography has gotten too slick-looking and I find it boring. All the videographers shoot with the same handheld or slow mo style as each other, the same editing, etc, and everyone thinks it's all so terribly impressive. Ho hum. I too am thinking of going back just to film. Then again for concert videos it's good to have a camera that's very cheap to shoot an hour's or more worth of footage, and records audio.

But all the slick gimbal DSLR shots? Not me. Hire the other guy. You won't have trouble finding a dude to shoot your video as absolutely everyone knows some young person with a Sony on a gimbal. And they will probably do it for free.

Edited by Jon O'Brien
  • Like 1