Angenieux 17-68mm F2.2 Type L2 - Reflex Compatibility?

Raaf Sundquist

• Premium Member

Friends,

I have an Angenieux 17-68mm F2.2 Type L2 that I have not yet tested with my H16 Rex 4. I am unfamiliar with decoding the Type designations of these lenses.

This one is a Type L2 - for those knowledgable about these lens types, will the L2 work nicely with the reflex Bolex? If it isn't ideal, I'd appreciate any tips for compensation.

Thanks!

Raaf

Edited by Raaf Sundquist

• Premium Member

Here's a nice brochure outlining the various types of Angenieux 17-68 lenses:

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/01067/01067.pdf

The early silver zooms used L1 for the reflex dogleg models, L2 for normal C mount, and L3 for RX Bolexes. 

Later black versions used letters after the designation, so 4x17A was the dogleg version, 4x17B was normal C mount and 4x17C was for reflex Bolexes.

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Raaf Sundquist said:

Thanks Dom - that's exactly information I was looking for and the brochure is a bonus.

Now that you've confirmed, I'll just compensate at lower than 50mm.

Again - thanks so much!

It's not a hard and fast rule about lenses under 50mm, particularly zooms. The main factor seems to be the exit pupil depth. A lens with a shallow exit pupil (being the image of the iris as seen from the rear element) is more susceptible to aberrations introduced by the prism. I would shoot some tests at different apertures to see how bad it actually is at the wider end of the zoom range.