Moviestuff is...out of business!

Todd Ruel

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Lots of stories, I guess. In this day and age...dunno, never know about prosecution, Tyler. Just depends on the DA and all.

It would need to be proven that he maliciously stole from banks and clients. It's clear by reading the documents, he was a scammer. It's clear he took millions of dollars. What did he do with it all? 

3 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

People that buy Retroscans are not usually rich and can't afford to lose $.

Exactly. Roger has ripped off a heap of people, and to most of them $10,000 is a lot of money.

Unfortunately, most of the people that were "dissatisfied customers" didn't want to put their names out publicly, which led to the incorrect perception that everyone was happy. Plenty of customers have said in private though they don't like the way he does business but that they need to be able to still have product support from him.

In Roger's ego-driven Facebook post, he talks as if his compeditors are the "big boy scanners", to use your term. No mention of Filmfabriek, DCS, Blackmagic or Kinetta! Or the fact that the big boy machines are very different now than 20 years ago. They cost way less, they're much simpler, more mechanically reliable, more capable in what they can do, etc. Most film now is over 40 years old, so now they have to be able to do archival film, whreas in the 1990's digital scanning was just for special effects.

The other perception that existed was that they were getting a bargain, because a LaserGraphics ScanStation fully-loaded is $200,000+. Or because FF charge a lot more for the Muller or the Pictor ranges. Yet anyone actually using them to do their best work for paying customers is spending ages working on the scans in post to try and fix them up for their customers. The same is actually true for some of the less capable big boy scanners including the GoldenEye.

3 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

I'd see used Retroscans on eBay every once in a while. They seemed to be listed by another person and usually shipped from MS as 'refurbished.' I never could figure that out. Roger advertised he would take in used Restroscans to upgrade to a newer machine. But it never made sense why someone in CA selling a used machine on eBay would go through MS to ship it. I don't know if it was jsut a sales story or something.

Roger takes a cut, and provides a 90 day warranty. You can read the page here, it's still on his website.

3 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

I talked to Roger once on the phone and he was a complete dickhead. I'm surprised he didn't hang up.

LOL. He was on the Kinograph forums, but ran away to his Facebook group when criticised.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 7:57 PM, Dan Baxter said:

Exactly. Roger has ripped off a heap of people, and to most of them $10,000 is a lot of money.

Unfortunately, most of the people that were "dissatisfied customers" didn't want to put their names out publicly, which led to the incorrect perception that everyone was happy. Plenty of customers have said in private though they don't like the way he does business but that they need to be able to still have product support from him.

In Roger's ego-driven Facebook post, he talks as if his compeditors are the "big boy scanners", to use your term. No mention of Filmfabriek, DCS, Blackmagic or Kinetta! Or the fact that the big boy machines are very different now than 20 years ago. They cost way less, they're much simpler, more mechanically reliable, more capable in what they can do, etc. Most film now is over 40 years old, so now they have to be able to do archival film, whreas in the 1990's digital scanning was just for special effects.

The other perception that existed was that they were getting a bargain, because a LaserGraphics ScanStation fully-loaded is $200,000+. Or because FF charge a lot more for the Muller or the Pictor ranges. Yet anyone actually using them to do their best work for paying customers is spending ages working on the scans in post to try and fix them up for their customers. The same is actually true for some of the less capable big boy scanners including the GoldenEye.

Roger takes a cut, and provides a 90 day warranty. You can read the page here, it's still on his website.

LOL. He was on the Kinograph forums, but ran away to his Facebook group when criticised.

I always say how it is. I've talked about problems with the Retroscan from when I first started to use it. But from what I gather here, every scanner has some issues. It is good to discuss the shortcomings so they can be improved or at least warn people before jumping into it.

I think I paid for everything with a credit card, so maybe that was why I had OK luck in getting things. Or it could have been early on he had no problem shipping things. The Retroscan was good for what it was...a cheap scanner. It is better than a Wolverine. You always have to be fair and look at the alternatives...within that price range. So, no use comparing the Retroscan to $$ scanners. It is like comparing a bicycle to a car. 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

20 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

I always say how it is. I've talked about problems with the Retroscan from when I first started to use it. But from what I gather here, every scanner has some issues. It is good to discuss the shortcomings so they can be improved or at least warn people before jumping into it.

No other scanner that costs over $5,000 has the shortcomings that the Retroscans have.

20 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

I think I paid for everything with a credit card, so maybe that was why I had OK luck in getting things. Or it could have been early on he had no problem shipping things. The Retroscan was good for what it was...a cheap scanner. It is better than a Wolverine. You always have to be fair and look at the alternatives...within that price range. So, no use comparing the Retroscan to $$ scanners. It is like comparing a bicycle to a car. 

You don't have a Retroscan Universal MkII, you have a MkI - the previous generation. No one had a problem getting it delivered.

To say "no use comparing the Retroscan to $$ scanners" is ridiculous. It depends entirely on the use-case. To pick on LaserGraphics, they used to have on their website "telecine is dead" with a tombstone you can see it here. What they should have IMO at least somewhere on the website is "Elmo is dead, home movie scan better on a LaserGraphics". 😛

MovieStuff existed in no man's land. Their natural market - archives - had left them many years ago as they now have far more choice and better options. Kinetta, Filmfabriek, Blackmagic, Lasergraphics, Filmic - they have plenty of choice now depending on their needs.