Arri IIb Battery Help

Dears,

This question has been asked on the forum before, but seemingly everyone else has had the luck of having an XLR port in their Arriflex motor. I own a IIB and need to devise a portable battery solution, however my 24fps motor has only the obsolete, two prong connector (I've attached a screenshot below of Visual Products' page ... despite being a variable speed motor for a IIC, mine has the same connection).

I understand that the motor needs 16V, but that 12V batteries seem to work fine. Further, I own a V-mount battery and would love to adapt the motor to D Tap, but any solution would work. I would appreciate some advice on where to start. Is it worth using the old plug directly to a battery brick? If so, what is that plug type called? Alternatively, how could I have the motor adapted to accept D Tap?

Best,

Christian

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 14.31.22.png

• Site Sponsor

I would suggest 3D printing a cover with a 4-Pin XLR that could be fitted over the existing Arri motor terminals and cutting them down to flush with the motor casing and then soldering on wires to go from the two terminals to the XLR.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2024 at 11:09 PM, Robert Houllahan said:

I would suggest 3D printing a cover with a 4-Pin XLR that could be fitted over the existing Arri motor terminals and cutting them down to flush with the motor casing and then soldering on wires to go from the two terminals to the XLR.

Ended up cutting off the male end of the original cord and rewiring the severed end to an XLR. Then, via an adapter, XLR to D Tap. Works great. Thanks again Rob for your advice.

• Upvote 1

I did about the same for my IIA. Had to cut the power cable just before the original plug, because it was shorting there... But I got away with it quite well by using shrink wrap. For now it just works fine!

image.thumb.jpeg.8933b13d165daf6b6565a6b31daf1246.jpeg

Still, should I keep using that motor, I will probably install a more modern plug at some point. These original plugs with their cables in them are just way to brittle...