Steenbeck Speed Control Flipper Not Working

Dears,

I recently moved my old Steenbeck into my new apartment and noticed upon powering it up that the speed control flipper had become loose, causing the newly-untensioned flipper to freely slide around from one speed to another. While this hasn't issue hasn't impeded the machine's functionality, I nonetheless took a look under the hood and noticed that the metal disc that holds the flipper unit in place had become loose from the industrial adhesive that was applied to it at factory.

To fix this, I'd like to re-adhere the metal disc to the flipper unit, but am curious as to whether anyone who has (or hasn't) encountered the same issue with their machine may suggest a particular glue to solve the problem, or suggest an alternate solution.

Best,

C

On my 1600 the flipper is held in place by spring tension and it's attached to a shaft running through the stack of switches that make up the selector. If yours is actually loose it suggests that something has come detached.

My speed selector (what you're calling the flipper unit) is held in by a couple of metal claws screwed to the barrel of the selector which dig into the wooden underside of the table. I wonder if the disc is a modification.

It would help if you could post a photograph.

Edited by Mark Dunn

On 4/21/2024 at 6:54 PM, Mark Dunn said:

On my 1600 the flipper is held in place by spring tension and it's attached to a shaft running through the stack of switches that make up the selector. If yours is actually loose it suggests that something has come detached.

My speed selector (what you're calling the flipper unit) is held in by a couple of metal claws screwed to the barrel of the selector which dig into the wooden underside of the table. I wonder if the disc is a modification.

It would help if you could post a photograph.

Dear Mark,

Please see a folder of three photographs here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rTdQDtAZ7KW_OAM2vrAibu4GY4TTlIOG?usp=sharing

My unit is a six plate ST 1901 with two mag sound heads.

Best,

C

The '01 speed selector is a completely different design to the '00 so I don't think I can help directly. It uses a microswitch and a potentiometer to detect the position of the selector.

However, I've put a screenshot of schematic of the speed selector from the '01 service manual on my Drive account which may help you. The disc you mention appears to be screwed into place.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KRs4G3kvoEu9dJsJ7cq6SziKW_MMDmzG/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Mark Dunn