Angenieux F1.8/5.9 Type R7

steve hyde

• Premium Member

...I have recently acquired an Angenieux F 1.8/ 5.9 type R7 lens that I will be using on a Beaulieu 4008 ZMII super 8 camera. I need the depth of field tables for this lens. Any help finding this information would be greatly appreciated.

edit: by the way this is a c-mount lens

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Edited by steve hyde

• Premium Member

After reviewing my post above - I noticed I didn't really ask a specific question and perhaps depth of field tables for this lens do not exist. If anyone has any experience at all with this lens, I would like to hear about your experiences with it. pros? cons? I just want to learn as much as possible about this lens.

Angi59a.jpg

Ang59b.jpg

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by steve hyde

After reviewing my post above - I noticed I didn't really ask a specific question and perhaps depth of field tables for this lens do not exist. If anyone has any experience at all with this lens, I would like to hear about your experiences with it. pros? cons? I just want to learn as much as possible about this lens.

I'm not sure about the R7 part (maybe revision 7, not unlike the Mark 2 when you see MKII), but I have used this lens with a converted Bolex Rex 5 camera. This is very wide, if I had to guess, I had 170 degree field of view on the 16mm frame. Obviously, you won't have that much view in the smaller super 8 frame. I've thought of using this lens with the Beaulieu 4008 myself. It is fixed focus, so the only focus issues you should have will be related to opening up the aperture too much. I shot at f 8 - 11 and everyting was in focus. Also, I think the images were pretty sharp. But then again, I had pletty of light. I was shooting The old V200T (with the bolex gell 85 filter) which looked acceptable, and 7245D which looked great even without a polarizer. Hope this helps.

Edited by teadub

Guest Ian Marks

This is a "focus free" lens with tremendous depth of field. I have a comparable, but far from identical, Kinoptic 5.7mm lens. I don't worry about depth of field tables when using the lens - it's pretty much a "point and shoot" proposition. The only concern I might have is just how close to the front element focus will extend - something which can be controlled somewhat by stopping down. Of course I'm using my lens for 16mm work. Since you're shooting Super 8, you're wasting most of the coverage of your Angenieux. I would probably try a wide angle CCTV lens first - it would be cheaper, and I'm not convinced that the Angenieux will be any sharper.

The 'R7' is Angénieux's code for their 5,9/1:1,8 lens, not a revision number. The Angénieux 'Type xx' classification is a bit arcane, but all the 'R' types are 'Retrofocus', a design that was invented by Angénieux and means these wide angle lenses do not need to be focused : their depth of field is great enough that everything is sharp from x distance from the lens to infinity -- so, obviously, that depth of field is very large at all openings, and increasing still at greater f stops. I don't have the precise data on this lens though.

As for CCTV lenses, if you want to try them, watch out for how much the rear optical element sticks out from the mount -- the 4008 has a reflex mirror very close to the lens-mount. It's fine for traditional 16mm. C. mount lenses, but some CCTV lenses are deeper.

As for CCTV lenses, if you want to try them, watch out for how much the rear optical element sticks out from the mount -- the 4008 has a reflex mirror very close to the lens-mount. It's fine for traditional 16mm. C. mount lenses, but some CCTV lenses are deeper.

I believe that is the CS-mount (primarily a CCTV mount), that he will have to look out for? I do remember hearing not all CS-Mounts are properly labeled as such. And that they contain the C-mount label, being that they are primarily marketed for CCTV.

• Premium Member

....this information is all very helpful. Thank you,

by the way - i agree that it is more lens than necessary for Super 8, but I found one for 250.00 bucks and decided to go for it.

Steve

Edited by steve hyde

The 'R7' is Angénieux's code for their 5,9/1:1,8 lens, not a revision number. The Angénieux 'Type xx' classification is a bit arcane, but all the 'R' types are 'Retrofocus', a design that was invented by Angénieux and means these wide angle lenses do not need to be focused : their depth of field is great enough that everything is sharp from x distance from the lens to infinity --

Attention Boris: it isn't the definition of 'retrofocus' (it'd be near of the 'hiperfocal' definition). Of course that the lenses retrofocus (or telefoto inverted) were a design by Angenieux for movie cameras, and later the best aplication for all reflex SLR cameras. It consists to 'extend optically' the rear focal distance (in wide angle lens) to let the position of the mirror.

All the best,