super 8 Kodak Film Stock???

sebastian

Guest Fred

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the discount is 20% off....So each Super-8 cartridge will cost about 12.00 $

F

Standard Kodak student discount is 20% of list price. But I've contacted some Kdak reps in the past and basically said "Hey, I've been hired to shoot a low budget feature and they're planning to shoot in video because of the cost. We'd all rather shoot film--can you do anything to help?" Kodak REALLY wants people to shoot film, and frankly a little indie film getting some free rolls or a steep discount is a drop in the bucket compared to what they sell to the commerical word. You can say, Well you're MITCH GROSS! Frankly that's not that big a deal and anyway they were giving great deals even when I was lowly mitch gross.

Guest Fred

By the way....Hello John: I'm in Venezuela, so I believe my best option for to buy and process super8 is in the States. Am I right?

Cheers

Fred

• Premium Member

In the United States, you can order Super-8 film by calling 1-800-621-FILM (3456):

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/super8/i....1.4.4.10&lc=en

The Kodak website has a directory of Super-8 dealers and labs worldwide:

http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/US/en/motion/...labSearchV6.cgi

Or you can contact your local Kodak worldwide sales office:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/order/of...d=0.1.4.5&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/pm...=0.1.4.11&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/cluster/lar/es/motion/

http://www.kodak.com/cluster/lar/es/motion...Venezuela.shtml

John: I am located in Colombia and I know for a fact that super 8 stock is not sold here. Since I?m not in the sates, I cant call the toll free number, so I was wondering what the prices where in super 8 stock, with the student discount.

Thank,

Best regards

Guest Fred

Hello Sebastian... I found this prices in other place different than Kodak:

KODACHROME 40A US $ 19.00

Kodachrome 50ft Super 8mm Cartridge w/ Kodak Mailer US $ 25.00

PLUS-X ASA 50 $ 18.00

TRI-X ASA 200 $ 18.00

Kodak Vision ASA 200 US $ 25.00

Ektachrome vnf 7240 US $ 19.50

So, if this are similar than kodak prices just calculate 20% off

Cheers

Federico

Guest Fred

oops !!! Looks like you're right, George :o

Sebastian: I found this info; it's from some years ago :P :

Super-8 film can be ordered directly from Kodak by calling 1-800-621-3456. Kodak's direct-to-consumer pricing recently changed somewhat for a couple of the stocks, but the prices I'm quoting here are accurate as of March 2000. The company's direct price is now $9.65 per cartridge for the B&W silent films. The color silent films are $14.60 for the Kodachrome and $17.84 for the Ektachrome in single-unit quantities. However, it's far cheaper to buy five or more cartridges. In those quanitities, the price drops to $10.57 for the Kodachrome and $12.98 for the Ektachrome. There are no discounts for quantity orders of the B&W film, unfortunately.

Sorry for my previous info....

So I have a question as well. I've been looking into this site www.pro8mm.com and they include processing in their cost for each cartridge but that's 35$ for each cartridge. So, would it be more cost effective to buy with discount from Kodak and pay for processing and digital master for editing in an NLE or to buy film with processing from pro8mm? Pro 8mm does special packages that is basically film, processing, and digital transfer to MiniDV for editing. The cheapest is 10 mins for $304, and that's 4 rolls/cartridges of film.

So what's the cheapest way to go? I've also considered buying a splicer/viewer/player and editig on film and then doing a digital transfer but then I'm still paying to processing all my raw footage. I'm just looking on how to save the cash.

Thanks

Pro 8mm does special packages that is basically film, processing, and digital transfer to MiniDV for editing. The cheapest is 10 mins for $304, and that's 4 rolls/cartridges of film.

I can do that in Super-16 for less.

The cheapest is 10 mins for $304, and that's 4 rolls/cartridges of film.

I might as well add to what Mitch said, that I can also do the same for less using short ends of 35mm at $0.11/ft - processing and one lite to mini DV included with tapestock :D

Yes George, but I could do it for less even with list prices from Kodak and the local lab. With discounts I could do it for significantly less. Eleven minute roll (400') of new Kodak Vision2 is about $160. Student/indie rate for developing and transfer is $.14/ft. each, so that's a total of $272. Plus $5 for a DV tape. And if I used short ends and tried for special discounts I could drop this price even more.

so that's a total of $272.

But with the 35 short end deal I get it for $270 ;) and I get 35mm resolution and grain. In my experience 16mm short ends are almost always grainier (I guess whoever shoots it usually stores the stuff badly), and even if you could get the short ends in abundance with 16mm it's usually a better idea to go new.

Anyway, bottom line is "Pro 8mm" is expensive as all hell.

- G.

• Premium Member

I can shoot 4 rolls of Kodachrome 40 and then process for 100 bucks max. I could then transfer on a rank for another $75.00.

I'm not convinced that it is wise to directly compare the three primary film formats. Super-8 cameras come with so many additional filming options besides 24 frames per second that the circumstances where one would actually be shooting Super-8 in the exact same manner as one would shoot in 16mm or 35 are not that common.