Add-on Anamorphic elements.

Paul Bruening

• Premium Member

Hello fine folks,

Since rear elements are used for anamorphic zooms, could they be mounted behind flat primes to serve the same purpose?

Also, has anyone had any experince with the Lomo anamorphic elements (the ones that mount in front of a flat lens)?

• Premium Member

Back focus is more critical with wide-angle lenses, plus they tend to already have a deep flange depth, so adding rear anamorphic attachments can be tricky and probably has to be done by a lens technician, plus you'd have to make sure it cleared the mirror shutter.

It's not unusual to use rear anamorphic attachments for telephoto lenses.

Hello fine folks,

Since rear elements are used for anamorphic zooms, could they be mounted behind flat primes to serve the same purpose?

Also, has anyone had any experince with the Lomo anamorphic elements (the ones that mount in front of a flat lens)?

---The NAS (HAC in Cyrillic) attachments are designed to be used with specific lens which couple to the attachment abd have matching focus scales so the focusing is done on the anamorphic section.

The NAS-10 has a 35mm f/2.5 backing lens and the NAS-4 has a 50mm and 75mm. There is a 135mm which might be next to impossible to find.

These backing lenses are OST-18 mount for the Konvas 1M. It's similar to the Arri standard mount, but bigger, so the backing lenses rotate in the camera mount when focusing.

It ought to be possible to use the attachments with other lens. Obviously the focusing rings won't couple so both lenses would have to be focused seperately. Also the backing lenses slip into the anamorphic attachments, so finding other lenses that fit would be a hassle.

The same goes for the Foton-A zoom. Since the mount on the zoom doesn't rotate when focusing, it might be possible to make a PL adapter for whole system. The zoom slips into the attachment even deeper than the NASs. Using that with other lenses would be even more of a problem.

---LV

How close is the Konvas 1M mount to the Arri standard. Can I make it fit with a little milling or would I have to have a plate made to replace the turret?

The 1M mount (OST-18) has a flange depth of 57mm and a diameter of 47mm, which copares to the Arri st. mount's 52mm flange depth and diameter of 41mm.

One can get PL adaptors for zooms:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PL-mount-ZOOM-FOTON-OP...1QQcmdZViewItem

I once saw an Australian built Pl adaptor for the primes. That was some time ago.

Google Steve Morton in Australia. He was probably involved.

Also it's possible to remove the anamorphic section of round fronts. Steve Morton would also know about that.

---LV

• 2 weeks later...

The many russian long prime anamoprhic lenses have two versions spherical and anamoprhic.

they take spherical lens and add rear anamoprhic adapter and have anamoprhic lens.

From other side, this idea work good with tele lenses and some zoom lenses, the wide lenses use

front anamorphic adapters, because, the distence between rear glass and mirror inside camera very short for wide lenses and set rear anamoprhic adapter not possible.

And, the front anamorphic adapter widen of angle of lens.

I make a some experimens with front anamoprhic adapter and zoom lens of Krasnogorsk-3 camera,

have good result.

But, from my expience, the better use full factory made anamorphic prime or zoom lens.

• 1 year later...
The one attachment that I know of is a system developed by Thierry Tronchet. But it is for 16mm and it goes in front of the lens. It involves remarking the focus-scale on the lenses as well.

Do you have any more info on Theirry Tronchet- on how his system works and how to contact him? I have googled with no luck...thanks very much

Paul,

any conversion of anamorphic front adaptors to your existing spherical lens will definitely cost you more than buying a complete Foton-A adapter+zoom lens 37-140mm. Now and then you can find such a lens in OCT-18 mount on eBay or from the known & trustworthy sellers for US$ 750-900. That will give you a decent basic lens and a very good anamorphic adapter - with mechanical coupling for easy focus pulling.

Take off the attachment and you can shoot spherical too.

You could buy a single Foton-A attachment and use it in front of your existing lens, but then you have to do double focusing - not to everyone's taste... ;)

Edited by Christian Appelt