Syriana?

Tomas Koolhaas

I don't think Syriana looked like HD at all. Especially, when you see it in the theater, the grain is definitely present during a brief underexposed night scene. A quick Google search says it was shot on Super 35mm.

One film that I saw recently on DVD that almost looked like HD (at least on the small screen) was Closer. It looks almost too sharp with too much depth of field for me. I know they were going for a particular look, but it distracted me from the story. In spite of that, I thought it was a great film. (Syriana too!)

Hi,

I tried google but couldn't find out what format, camera, lense combination they shot Syriana on,

Looks like HD possibly (only having seen the trailer).

Any info. is much appreciated.

Cheers.

I seem to recall seeing the "Kodak" and "Fuji" logos during the end credits. As for the format, looked like Super 35 to me, and I'd guess the cameras were Panavision.

No mention of the film on the ASC web site, so I don't know if we'll see any interviews with the DP.

I liked the look of the movie -- naturalistic and a bit on the "gritty" side.

Someone else on the boards with a better eye than me can probably provide more details...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Thomas Loizeaux

I was a camera operator on "Syriana" and can tell you it was Kodak Vision 35mm. All camera gear was Panavision.

Tom