Motion Picture Film Manufacturers Besides Kodak & Fuji??

Guest Kal Karman

Guest kalkarman

Hello everyone,

In my constant search to find new 'looks' - I am curious to know if there are other motion picture film

stock manufacturers besides Kodak & Fuji?

Ilford told me no... Don't know about agfa etc. etc. etc..

**Bonus Question: Who can tell me how to find 16mm color Infrared Film stock??

***Extra Bonus Question: Where can I get 16mm Kodachrome film in 400ft rolls other than 40ASA?

Rock & Roll,

Kal

• Premium Member

I don't know if Orwo is still making color neg film -- my impression is that they only make b&w film now for motion picture cameras:

http://www.dancan.dk/orwo%20film.html

Agfa stopped making motion picture color neg -- they only see movie print stock.

You can get color infrared film (Ektachrome reversal I think) from Kodak in large volume as a special order, although I don't know about 16mm.

K40-T is the only Kodachrome sold for motion picture work (and not for much longer). I don't believe it has edgecode information on it. Maybe it's just keycode that's missing. You can possibly get 35mm K64-D perfed for motion picture work in a large special order, but I doubt you could get it in 16mm. I don't know if Kodak even still makes K200-D for the still market.

• Premium Member
In my constant search to find new 'looks' - I am curious to know if there are other motion picture film

stock manufacturers besides Kodak & Fuji?

They do seem to be a disapering Breed. I was just looking at my Old Spool Collection the other day, Dupont, Agfa, Ansco....all now gone. (AGFA sold part of their business and that part is suposed to close at the end of the year last I heard.) I belive the print stock is made by the part that will continue. Too bad because it is likely the end of Rodinal B&W film developer by that name.

Ilford USED to make MP negative, in fact I have 200 ft of 35mm PAN-F in my frezzer which I intend to run though my still camera. If there is demand they might start up again, but their would have to be a strong order to make it worth their while. They were just becoming a new firm after an management byout last I heard.

Other folks I know of, besides ORWO, AKA http://www.filmotec.de/ who at least sell other stocks are http://www.KAHLfilm.de/ who at least _sell_ a Colour reversal film. They normaly make it process included but they also have it in "bulk" rolls and it apperently uses an E-6 Process. My guess is that they are having some slide stock custom cut... They list it as CT-18 which implies 50 ASA. They also have some high speed B&W .. Both Regular and Super 8mm and 16mm

If you are looking for B&W reversal, you can also get the FOMA r-100 in both regular 8 and 16mm, but not super 8

Beyond that, I don't know if the TASMA and SMELMA(sp) factoryies in the Former Soviet union are still arround. I know that smelma in ukrane was down the recivership road.

Fuji apperently still makes Single 8 in a couple of flavors with processing only done in Japan.

The fuji usa site indicates that they sell b&W in "some markets"

If you find anything else let us know. I ave no money to spend, but would love to encourage more film being made.

**Bonus Question: Who can tell me how to find 16mm color Infrared Film stock??

***Extra Bonus Question: Where can I get 16mm Kodachrome film in 400ft rolls other than 40ASA?

Rock & Roll,

Kal

Hi, your only chance in this lifetime to obtain some 400ft rolls of 16mm k25 is probably ebay. They do show up occassionally, but be warned, you will be up against me on the bidding. <_<

Sadly, some very clever person in kodak decided to kill k25 in favour of the poorer quality k40 around 3-4 years ago, last available 16mm k25 has an exp date of around 5/2003.

It would be fantastic if k64 could be made in 400ft 16mm lengths, i would buy 50 straight away. i wonder what the minimum order would be?

Andy

Edited by k25rip

I don't know if Orwo is still making color neg film -- my impression is that they only make b&w film now for motion picture cameras:

http://www.dancan.dk/orwo%20film.html

Agfa stopped making motion picture color neg -- they only see movie print stock.

You can get color infrared film (Ektachrome reversal I think) from Kodak in large volume as a special order, although I don't know about 16mm.

K40-T is the only Kodachrome sold for motion picture work (and not for much longer). I don't believe it has edgecode information on it. Maybe it's just keycode that's missing. You can possibly get 35mm K64-D perfed for motion picture work in a large special order, but I doubt you could get it in 16mm. I don't know if Kodak even still makes K200-D for the still market.

David, as far as I know, K-200 is still being manufactured, but as a special-order item. I last shot off a roll about three years ago. The professional version (Basically just controlled against color shifts, otherwise the same as the off-the-shelf stuff) goes for outrageous prices, something like $20 per 36 exp. roll. That would make for might expensive movie stock, if you consider $4 per foot. Also, K-200 is VERY grainy, although it has a very high resolving power too, and it has the Kodachrome look that people admire so much.

If we are talking 35mm I would have thought there would be a Chinese manufacturer...does anyone know?

Also for 35mm you could use the MACO, Ilford and Agfa still picture films with a camera such as an Arri II. (These cameras don't have a registration pin.) I have only seen 100' rolls for sale but that is more than enough for an experiment.

Henry.

• Premium Member
If we are talking 35mm I would have thought there would be a Chinese manufacturer...does anyone know?

Who doesn't get their film manufactured in China?!? (I know, I know... Kodak only manufactures consumer still film in China -- the motion picture stock is made in Rochester.)