How Come "In Consideration" ads for Cinematography...

Joe Taylor

This is especially true in American Cinematography. There is an image in an ad for "Jar Head" that credits Roger Deakins' cinematography for a shot of soldiers marching through the desert with oil rig fires blazing in the B.G. What makes this shot what it is is the digital F/X, not the cinematography. Why do they think they can fool the academy. It's almost insulting. I'm sure they didn't build their own oil rigs to burn in the desert. I don't think you can even legally burn a tire in America.

I can recall other examples. "A.I"s ad for cinematography consideration is all digital. I can also remember a image for a giant moon married in the image for another film that was supposed to be credited to the cinematographer.

Why does this happen?

Shots with digital elements can be trickier for the DP than "plain" shots, because the DP has to make the in-camera elements of the shot work with whatever digital elements will be added later. Which obviously requires a good bit of foresight on the DPs part to get the highlights/shadows/colors correct.

Also, the way I understand it, the director of photography is in charge of the entire visual department, which would include visual effects. So to say a DP can't take credit for a nice-looking effects shot doesn't make much sense to me.

Those 'For your consideration...' ads generally features the same images as are used in the films' posters and other publicity. The Academy is being asked to consider the film as a whole, not just a few stills.

Yes, but these types of ads are often misleading. I've read that more than a few academy members will often vote without actually seeing the film or watching their screeners. Could an academy member actually base their judgement of someone's work by glancing at a glossy in a magazine. I'd be outraged but not surprised by a truthful answer.

• Premium Member

Yes, but remember that the people doing the nominating for Best Cinematography are part of a nominating committee for that category, not the general Academy membership. Since they tend to be cinematography-saavy (often working and retired cinematographers, and other technical types), odds are low that they can't really make a mental distinction between an efx shot and a live action shot.