Question about a filter...

I was wondering if anybody knows what filter was used in minority report and some of kill bill as well... During the scenes when the highlights and any other overexposed areas looked really hazy and bright. In kill bill vol. 2 is was used during the black and white wedding scene, and in minority report its all over the place but a scene that comes to mind was when he was on the run with the pre-cog or whatever its called, and they are in the mall.

I want to say its some sort of heavy pro mist type of filter, but i dont really know.

• Premium Member

"Minority Report" used nets; "Kill Bill" used nets in some scenes and ProMist filters in others. Nets give you that diffused glowing "smear" in a semi-star shape while ProMists create more of an even, hazy glow around a light. Combining the filtering with overexposed areas is important to get the halation effect.

• Premium Member

The most commonly used nets are the most Ultra Sheer black pantyhose nets by Dior or Fogal, stretched over the back of the lens but sometimes stretched on frames in front of the lens.

I've taken some cheap Black Ultra Sheer pantyhose and stretched it over some homemade chipboard frames. Haven't found the right project to use them on yet though...

so is this just pantyhose you can get at any clothing type shop or is there a special place to buy this online or something, I am very curious to try these out. And do you just attach them with like a rubber band or something?

Try a few different things but be sure to do some tests -- cheaper ones can have strange colour casts (eg green in the shadows) and uneven weave. As with all other things; you get what you pay for. I got my Fogal on a "student" price direct from the local importer (Australia) who was quite surprised to hear that his products were coveted amongst cinematographers : )

For attaching I've mainly used snot glue.

cheers,

Kim Sargenius

cinematographer

sydney

• Premium Member

Yes they do.

Generally a black net does little to affect contrast (other than causing highlights to bloom out possibly into shadow areas).

Lighter color nets to lower the contrast. All the different colors have different effects, thus test a lot.

Kevin Zanit

I just talked to my professor about this and he said that a good method for attaching the nets is to use clear nail polish. Has anybody ever used this technique?

Ugh. Be prepared to cry when you ruin the rear lens element after getting some of that nail polish on it. "Snot tape" can be purchased fairly easily from most camera rental facilities. If you're shooting in 2/3" video, there's a simple device called the I-ring which sells for about $20 that slips over the housing of the rear lens element simply and securely.