SOLARIS

hello

could someone please give me some informations about cinematography in SOLARIS? is it possible that some bleach bypass or cross processing was done? what stock was used? what lenses? i love the greenish colors and the darkness of it.

all the informations will be highly appreciated

hello

could someone please give me some informations about cinematography in SOLARIS? is it possible that some bleach bypass or cross processing was done? what stock was used? what lenses? i love the greenish colors and the darkness of it.

all the informations will be highly appreciated

i asume you mean the tarkovsky masterpiece, not the george cloony version ?

i would be interested to know more too, couldnt find anything usefull through google.

i am sorry to disappoint but i was referring to the sodebergh one. the reason why is because whilst watching the making of i was stunned to see how bright the set was when shot on video for the documentary compared to the final result: the blacks were much blacker, it was very dark generally and there was on the opening shots of clooney walking around and sitten in the subway a general green tone which later on in the film became much greyish and coldish...i was just curious about how the dp got this particular look and which techniques and tools have been used in camera and in processing

thanks

freddy

• Premium Member

Don't confuse light level with how dark a scene looks. I can shoot a scene in direct sunlight in the desert to look as dark as moonlight, so obviously the key is how you expose the scene. Behind-the-scenes video shooting generally exposes the shot brighter just to see the action, but in theory, one could time or expose the video footage to be as dark as the film footage.

I don't believe any unusual processing was done for "Solaris" other than perhaps some push-processing. It was shot in 35mm anamorphic and often used grad filters to darken or color the top of the frame.