Is this camera is better than the following cameras???

Sivanesan

Hi all,

I have used the DVX-100B and Sony D-50, when shot with found DVX-100B i found that its not greater than the D-50.

Now i would like to know wheter this HVX-200 is a better one than D-50. I would also like to know whether somebody has made a compared study of the

DVX-100s,

Sony D-35

Sony D-50

HVX-200.

Reagrds

Sivanesan

• Premium Member
Hi all,

I have used the DVX-100B and Sony D-50, when shot with found DVX-100B i found that its not greater than the D-50.

Now i would like to know wheter this HVX-200 is a better one than D-50. I would also like to know whether somebody has made a compared study of the

DVX-100s,

Sony D-35

Sony D-50

HVX-200.

Reagrds

Sivanesan

Hi,

The D-35 and D-50 Sony cameras are 2/3" cameras with removable lenses. I would expect them to perform be better than any 1/3 inch chip SD camera.

The HVX-200 is an HD camera with a fixed lens and small chip. You can't directly compare it.

What are you going to shoot?

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for reply..... we are planning for Feature film........ we would be transferring it to film later........ In case of cosidering film transfer which camera is good.

Regards

Sivanesan

• Premium Member

I don't believe that the D-30 and D-50 are progressive-scan cameras so it is sort of apples and oranges to compare them to consumer cameras that do progressive-scan. On the one hand, with 2/3" CCD's and pro lenses, you'll get a more natural depth of field and better optics, on the other hand, you're talking about deinterlacing the footage and getting certain artifacts in the film-out. Plus if you toss in the HVX200 into the equation, now you've got more pixel resolution plus progressive-scan BUT a fixed zoom lens and 1/3" CCD's...

In other words, test. But I suspect it will be a toss-up depending on what particular things are important to you. But I'm sure that the HVX200 will transfer better to film than the DVX100B.

• Premium Member
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for reply..... we are planning for Feature film........ we would be transferring it to film later........ In case of cosidering film transfer which camera is good.

Regards

Sivanesan

Hi,

As David says, you will want progressive scan. The HVX 200 is probably the way to go.

Stephen

I don't believe that the D-30 and D-50 are progressive-scan cameras so it is sort of apples and oranges to compare them to consumer cameras that do progressive-scan. On the one hand, with 2/3" CCD's and pro lenses, you'll get a more natural depth of field and better optics, on the other hand, you're talking about deinterlacing the footage and getting certain artifacts in the film-out. Plus if you toss in the HVX200 into the equation, now you've got more pixel resolution plus progressive-scan BUT a fixed zoom lens and 1/3" CCD's...

In other words, test. But I suspect it will be a toss-up depending on what particular things are important to you. But I'm sure that the HVX200 will transfer better to film than the DVX100B.

Hi David,

First of all i am very glad to get a reply from u, I have read many useful posts from u........ so thanks for those great posts and reply.

My problem here is that we don't have proper support in our locality..... probably in the whole country........ and the second thing is we also dont have such budgets. So there is no chance for test. My producer will not agree. I have failed in convincing him.

As for now we have made budgeting with Sony HVR-Z1 or Sony D-50. They would fit into our budget. The production is much interested in Sony HVR-Z1, because of the FireWire support which would bring down the cost of editing. They want to skip MY FAVOURITE Sony D-50 with this reason. Ofcourse our budget can afford a Betacam edit also. I have a confident in Sony D-50 results. Buth the thing which bugs me is the Interlaced output of the Sony D-50.

The Panasonic HVX200 has not been yet launched in India. Incase of its availability at the time of production can I go for that. Because its my next choice to d-50, for its (HVX200) Progressive output, color sampling of 4:2:2, more pixel resolution and finally firewire for my producers sake.

Regards

Sivanesan

• Premium Member

Hi,

I wouldn't consider trying to shoot a release movie on a D50 at this point. And frankly I'd avoid the Sony stuff too. I've only played with it briefly (I have one in my hand right now if you have any questions) with the JVC GY-HD100. It takes proper manual lenses and it does real 24p, and is as cheap to edit as the Z1. No contest really.

HVX-200 has better specs in some ways, but the servo lens, built in, would put me off immediately. Unless you have persuasive reasons to need overcranking up to 60fps, the JVC camera is probably one to look closely at.

Phil

• Premium Member
there is no chance for test. My producer will not agree.

Sounds like this guy is willing to accept whatever he ends up with -- even garbage. Personally, I like working for producers who push me to be excellent. Not comparing images from vastly different imaging systems before shooting a film is unwise. Sure says a lot about the man in charge.