Where might I find a decent "starter" Arri 16mm camera?

Seth Mondragon

I've been shooting Super8 for a while now and would like to start shooting some stuff on 16mm. Is there anyplace in the U.S. that sells used gear like this, besides eBay, that is trustworthy and reasonably priced? I asked about the Arri cameras, but that's only because that's the first name that comes to mind. Can anybody give me some feedback on what a good starter model would be and what kind of features I can expect to find on these cams? I'm really into timelapse and slowmo as well. Sorry it's such a beginner question! Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member

You can get an Arriflex 16S or S/B from Visual Products, or a place called TCS in New York (Not to be confused with Clive Tobin's company), and Duall Camera in New York. There is a place called Chambless Camera in Georgia I think it is, which sells Bolex cameras, and also a place in Texas called Sheldon Camera or something similar.

You also might want to pick up a copy of a newspaper/magazine called InSync, which lists used motion picture equipment.

Best way to find out about all the 16mm equipment you may want to consider is to buy a copy of "The 16mm Handbook" from Visual Products, it gives all kinds of useful information about types of cameras, etc. It is far too broad of a subject to cover on a forum like this.

-Tim

Thanks Tim! I appreciate your response. I'll look into the companies you mentioned and definitely pick up a copy of the 16mm Handbook. Thanks again.

-Seth

I just did a quick search for The 16mm Handbook, and although I didn't find that result exactly, I did find this: The 16mm Camera Book is this what you were talking about, or equivalent?

Edited by sooper8fan

• Premium Member
Thanks Tim! I appreciate your response. I'll look into the companies you mentioned and definitely pick up a copy of the 16mm Handbook. Thanks again.

-Seth

I just did a quick search for The 16mm Handbook, and although I didn't find that result exactly, I did find this: The 16mm Camera Book is this what you were talking about, or equivalent?

Seth,

I'm sorry, it is the 16mm Camera Book. I'll blame it on old age and the lateness of the hour.

:D

I know you can pick the book up at a good price from Amazon.com, but one of the things that the folks on this board have taught me is that in this small world of motion picture filmmaking, personal relationships are everything. I would just suggest that it might be worth paying a little bit more (like list price) for the book from Visual Products by calling Mike or Jim over there. That way you can start getting to know them and they can start getting to know you. And I can assure you that the extra few bucks will be a sound investment in your filmmaking career if you are in this for the long haul. But don't just call up and order the book, ask to speak to Mike or Jim and then order it from them personally. Gotta make those connections.

-Tim Carroll

Guest filmguy
Seth,

I'm sorry, it is the 16mm Camera Book. I'll blame it on old age and the lateness of the hour.

:D

I know you can pick the book up at a good price from Amazon.com, but one of the things that the folks on this board have taught me is that in this small world of motion picture filmmaking, personal relationships are everything. I would just suggest that it might be worth paying a little bit more (like list price) for the book from Visual Products by calling Mike or Jim over there. That way you can start getting to know them and they can start getting to know you. And I can assure you that the extra few bucks will be a sound investment in your filmmaking career if you are in this for the long haul. But don't just call up and order the book, ask to speak to Mike or Jim and then order it from them personally. Gotta make those connections.

-Tim Carroll

I'm think of buying a used aaton LTR 7 with used zeiss primes (9.5, 12, 16, 25) 2 mags, 2 recelled on board batteries, charger, case for $12,000. It is from a reputable dealer and will be overhauled and cleaned. I've seen the camera and it looks good. Does this seem like a fair deal?

• Premium Member
I'm think of buying a used aaton LTR 7 with used zeiss primes (9.5, 12, 16, 25) 2 mags, 2 recelled on board batteries, charger, case for $12,000. It is from a reputable dealer and will be overhauled and cleaned. I've seen the camera and it looks good. Does this seem like a fair deal?

Again, who is the dealer? That makes a big difference. If it is Visual Products or Abel Cinetech in New York, I would say yes. But remember, the LTR 7 has some issues that you will not have with a later model LTR 54, and if you are already planning on spending $12,000, I would definitely try to get a later model LTR 54.

-Tim

For that kind of money I agree with TimCarroll. The LTR 7 has a low top speed of 32fps. I would encourage you to upgrade to at least a LTR 54. Also, in the at price range, I would only invest in a PL mount system. I used to have an LTR 7 shooting as a B cam alongside my SR and being able run 54 frames or faster with the SR is one of the greatest aspects of shooting film over video.

Ebay is how I've gotten both my Arri 16BL and my Konica stills camera, and I've lucked out with both of them. I've heard some bad stories about ebay, but both these cameras are incredibly clean; the Arri was cheaper than you'd find it most anywhere else ($1700) although I've probably put about 4 grand into my complete production package so far. (Geez! That's a lot, once I add it all up...though with DV, that would've gotten me only the camera, nothing else)

Also check out Craigslist. (available in most cities, for example, in LA: http://losangeles.craigslist.org) This will allow you to find people selling personal camera packages, and since it's by location, you can meet in-person and inspect it, close the deal, then take it home with you.

I hear a lot about Visual Products, but if I were to do it again, I'd probably do it the same way.

• 2 months later...

I am not a cinematographer, or any thing, but I do have an Arriflex 16 and a Beaulieu R16 electric I am looking to sell. I do not know much about them, I got the cameras when my grandmother died. There are a lot of lenses, batteries, and other accessories that I would throw in. I know the last time she used them they worked fine, and they have been stored in her room ever since, except when I carefully laid them out to take pictures of them, which I have for anyone interested in buying. This would be a great deal for anyone interested... My email is smith.rl@rhodesstate.edu

Guest Ole Dost
I am not a cinematographer, or any thing, but I do have an Arriflex 16 and a Beaulieu R16 electric I am looking to sell. I do not know much about them, I got the cameras when my grandmother died. There are a lot of lenses, batteries, and other accessories that I would throw in. I know the last time she used them they worked fine, and they have been stored in her room ever since, except when I carefully laid them out to take pictures of them, which I have for anyone interested in buying. This would be a great deal for anyone interested... My email is smith.rl@rhodesstate.edu

How much do you want for the Arriflex 16?

Thank you,

Ole

• Premium Member
This looks like an awsome deal. Take advantage of it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arriflex-16-mm-S-ST-wi...1QQcmdZViewItem

now Im starting to wish I bought this instead of a GL2.

I would avoid that camera. It is an older one like the one I own, but mine has been completely rebuilt, that one has not. I have a section of the Arri16S.com web site that talks about buying Arriflex 16S cameras from eBay. You can view it here:

Tips for Buying an Arriflex 16S, S/B, or St off of eBay.

If you buy a camera from Visual Products, you get a guarantee, and the camera will have been completely rebuilt by them. I own three lenses for the Arri 16S camera that I bought from Visual Products, and they are all top notch. I bought another one that I was not sure I really liked and they gave me a full refund, no questions asked (has to be within 7 days). They are extremely honest and stand behind their cameras and lenses. I cannot recommend them enough.

Be very careful buying equipment from companies that also rent equipment. The camera or lens you buy from them may be coming out of their rental fleet. I bought a lens from one such company and had my "lens guy" check it out, and it was pretty much unusable. They did give me my money back, but it is still a hassle. Visual Products sells equipment, they are not a rental house. You get what you pay for.

-Tim Carroll

• Premium Member
^Thanks for the info dood.

and slap one of these babies on there:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Angenieux-5-9mm-lens-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

its soooo wide with no distortion whatsoever. All the ski companies use these.

Can't hold a candle to my 8mm Zeiss Distagon T*2. Wouldn't part with that lens for any amount of money. Thanks for the tip though.

-Tim

The item description for that Angeniuex 5.9mm calls it "infamous".

It seems to me the seller just doesn't know the meaning of the word. You wouldn't say that about something you were selling.

or maybe he's seen Three Amigos: "The infamous? infamous?" haa, i love that movie.

• 3 weeks later...
Ebay is how I've gotten both my Arri 16BL and my Konica stills camera, and I've lucked out with both of them. I've heard some bad stories about ebay, but both these cameras are incredibly clean; the Arri was cheaper than you'd find it most anywhere else ($1700) although I've probably put about 4 grand into my complete production package so far. (Geez! That's a lot, once I add it all up...though with DV, that would've gotten me only the camera, nothing else)

Also check out Craigslist. (available in most cities, for example, in LA: http://losangeles.craigslist.org) This will allow you to find people selling personal camera packages, and since it's by location, you can meet in-person and inspect it, close the deal, then take it home with you.

I hear a lot about Visual Products, but if I were to do it again, I'd probably do it the same way.

How do you like working with the BL?

Is it noisy and hard to focus?

Alex

www.alexardenti.com