car kit

• Premium Member

I'm shooting in a car during the day, and I think I'm going to need something in the car to bring up the actor. I will have bounces, but we may be driving, so I'm probably going to need a light or two. Anyone have suggestions for something that I can power off the cigarette lighter or a battery belt? I guess I could go for a sun gun, but that may be too much. I dont' think the mini-flo's will be enough. This is a pretty low tech job with a very minimal crew, so simple is better. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

you might try the 12v single kit from kino flo. The 15" lamps put out a little more than the 9" mini flo's. You can also get a harness for a 2 ft lamp and use it in the car as well.

Joseph Farris

Director of Photography

Visions of Light, Inc.

Office: 312-829-8244

Pager: 800.808.8244

Mobile: 630.306.8244

Fax: 630.690.7678

www.visionsoflightinc.com

joe@visionsoflightinc.com

This may be a bit more involved but:

A really great way to go for car rigs is two 12 volt car batteries wired parrallel, connected to true sine wave inverter like this one:

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/198/p/1/pt/7/product.asp (or a model like it)

on a typical rig the batteries can be put in the trunk with the inverter and you can usually run a piece of zip cord or two to the kino's where you need them. Kino's will last for some time depending on the size and how many bubbles you have on. And of course turning them off between takes helps too.

Also to be prepared you may want to have two spare batteries on hand an a car battery charger to keep things topped off.

Good luck

Tim

• Premium Member

The 110W Diva200 works fine for me on a non-sine wave inverter in the car. They are cheap lights, too - $575 with lamps. It could be mounted on the car window with a suction cup mount... But, I haven't tried that, yet.

12v LitePanels are another option -- but they cost more than the Kino!

• Premium Member
The 110W Diva200 works fine for me on a non-sine wave inverter in the car. They are cheap lights, too - $575 with lamps. It could be mounted on the car window with a suction cup mount... But, I haven't tried that, yet.

Brian,

Wow a diva for $575 that is cheap! In Europe they are far more than that!

Stephen

• Premium Member
Wow a diva for $575 that is cheap! In Europe they are far more than that!

I bought mine a month ago for $528 and the lamps were $22 each! It is a really bright fixture with a lot of punch -- especially considering the wattage. The output is comparable to a 2' 4-Bank Select system.

Yet another option is the Gyoury light. It uses the same lamps as the Diva, but offers a lot of mounting accessories such as the ability to mount the lamps directly in the car on a visor, etc. The basic fixture is about $975, though. Chupap has a couple of them in LA, as I recall.

Brian

• Premium Member
No need to correct, just use the HMI version Dedo.

Yes, I was thinking of the 150w lights that can be run at 100w off a car cigarette lighter or 12v battery. They are very compact and powerful for their wattage, but of course it depends on how much light you want and where you want it. For example, you could put a projection attachment on one of these lights and use it to increase light just on a character's eyes.

In addition to the 400 HMI described in your link, they are also making a couple of 200 HMIs. I've seen the 400, and it is kinda big. Haven't seen the 200s, and I don't know what the power requirements are for these lights.

• Premium Member

Little lights aren't really going to do much, but maybe that's OK but it may not be worth the bother. Some people just use available light and put some white towels in the car to catch any off-camera daylight coming in. Another option is to get a car with a sunroof and open it but cover it with diffusion. Bounce cards on the hood work great assuming the car is being towed, but if that were the case, you might have power anyway if it's a camera car.

You can run lights on the hood off of battery belts or an inverter, but that is problematic. HMI's especially can go green or flicker from variations in the inverter power. I'd almost rather use tungsten PAR's with blue gel run off of the inverter.

• Premium Member

If the actor is driving, and you're shooting from the passenger position, you can get good natural light coming right through the windshield, although the background sky is going to be 2 or 3 stops over once you open the lens up enough for the driver. If the background is an issue, you may consider putting an ND 6 or ND 9 gel on the driver's side window.

Edited by dgoulder