Wes Anderson! Robert Yeoman!

jijhh

Hey-

I looked at these very scenes awhile back with a director as reference for another project, on a dvd player with exact 2x, 4x, etc speed control. At 2x (assuming some accuracy from the player) they played normally which suggests they ramped to 48fps (this was the end of Tennenbaums). Just eyeballing it, it certainly wasn't faster than 72fps.

• Premium Member

I'd need to look at it again but I'm pretty sure that the ramp at the end of Life Aquatic used a certain amout of digital slow-mo. There are a number of shots in that film that were slowed digitally, but I think the final shot is a combination.

keith

I'd need to look at it again but I'm pretty sure that the ramp at the end of Life Aquatic used a certain amout of digital slow-mo. There are a number of shots in that film that were slowed digitally, but I think the final shot is a combination.

keith

the shot where bill murray walks up to the front of the ship after meeting his son is digital slow mo but if i remember correctly the last shot walking down the stairs is not. i could be misremembering though.

• Premium Member
the shot where bill murray walks up to the front of the ship after meeting his son is digital slow mo but if i remember correctly the last shot walking down the stairs is not. i could be misremembering though.

It was both -- a high-speed shot further slowed in post. You can see some frame blending if you look.

The last shot of Life Aquatic was a very bad digital slow-mo, if I remember right. I really didn't like the movie as a whole... with the one exception of the light meter readings always being about 5.6 no matter what the lighting condition, which probably goes to show what a nerd I am.