Virgin In Film,need advice!!

Trevor S

Hell everyone,first i just want to say thanks for taking the time to read this.Anyways,I have been a musician since 5,i have been signed by interscope records and toured all around the world,i have just realized that I want to take a venture in the film industry.i have read up on alot of film schools,and universities,but I want to ask you profesionals which path would be ideal to start off at ,where should I start my education and training,or even internships???

• Premium Member
Hell everyone,first i just want to say thanks for taking the time to read this.Anyways,I have been a musician since 5,i have been signed by interscope records and toured all around the world,i have just realized that I want to take a venture in the film industry.i have read up on alot of film schools,and universities,but I want to ask you profesionals which path would be ideal to start off at ,where should I start my education and training,or even internships???

Something about your post sounds odd.

However, if you are legit you should get a talented cinematographer a budget to shoot a music video for one of your songs, probably on film. It doesn't have to be a huge budget, $5,000 to $15,000 dollars for the cinematographer, film, processing and transfer, plus give the cinematographer a few days to be creative with the camera. Of course the longer the shooting goes the more you'll spend for actors and such.

In exchange, you'll get to work with the cinematographer and hopefully be a sponge and learn quite a bit.

thanks for the reply..yea I am legite..I wanted to ask, have you heard of a place called carrerconnection.com?? If would you mind visiting there site and giving me your opinion on that,cause if i am going to spend 5 to 10 thousand dollars,this place might be a good place to start off with.Check it out, http://www.careerconnection2000.com/?referrer=CR

• Premium Member

Well, there's the necessary path to self-education, through reading books, watching movies, and making your own movies (shorts, tests, whatever). This is unavoidable -- 90% of what you'll learn will be through your own initiative and effort.

The other 10% is open to debate: film school, internships, working up the ladder, etc. Everyone has a different story as to what works best.

Thanks for the reply David.Yea, I have a pretty extensive library on film and sound books,you learn alot from reading,but I tend to learn alot better through hands on experince,right now I am actually looking for some studio work at night,because I have my fulltime job during the day.I just recently met someone that has offered a couple p.a. jobs on commercial sets, i think that might be a good way just to get my foot in the door,what do you think??

• Premium Member

As long as you're upfront with the cinematographer that you hire that you want to learn cinematography it can be a very good learning experience. The reason I quoted the budget that I did is I thought you were currently under contract and usually there is some type of a budget to make a music video.

So this becomes a win for everybody, the DP gets a paying gig, you get real, on the job training, and you end up with a completed music video of one of your songs.

What ever you do, do not go within 1000 miles of career connection!! They are a huge scam!!

If you give them any money you will have only your self to blame, you have been warned.

Give them a call, see how much time they spend trying to nail down, "how you'll be paying." They want that info and your credit card number before any thing else.

MAJOR FRAUD ALERT!!!!!!!

R,