Power problem

Guest Retrogorilla

Guest Retrogorilla

So I get my long awaited Bauer 715XL in off of cheesE-Bay - my question:

Despite going over the manual a million times, I cannot get this camera to power on. Could it possibly be that:

1) It requires a film cartridge to do so (doesn't stipulate in the manual). This is my first Super 8 cam and maybe this is standard?!? I dunno...problem being I don't have film at the moment to try it out. It'll be a bit of a hassle to get it at the moment and maybe someone can tell me before I buy film for a possibly dud camera.

2) Despite the dude saying he tested it and it supposedly "Works perfectly" - was I ripped-off?

I did all the obvious things of using new batteries, making sure I had them in right, etc.

The cam requires 6AA's and no separate light meter battery or anything.

• Premium Member

There are a few basic tests to try to see if the camera is DOA or not.

The obvious things are making sure the batteries you put in are fresh. Sometimes the batteries go in alternating sequence of either plus/minus or minus/plus, make sure all six batteries have the polarity set the correct way.

I don't know that particular camera but sometimes these more advanced cameras can have some kind of fading option that turns off the camera and then to reactivate the camera you have to fade up or move a switch.

If you are sure the batteries are in right, and they are new, then turn the camera on, slightly depress the trigger to make sure the camera is "on" and see if the power zoom or the auto exposure meter works.

When the camera was shipped was the camera completely wrapped in bubblewrap, sealed shut with tape, and put inside of the box filled with styrofoam peanuts? Anything less than that and the camera could have been damaged during shipping.

And definitely ask the person who sold the camera to you if there is any kind of fading capability with that camera that has to be done in reverse.

I don't know if the camera only works with film in it, but if that is the case you might be able to fool the camera into thinking it has film in it by depressing whatever sensor gets depressed when the film is inserted. Although it is very rare a couple cameras will only work with the cartridge door shut so in that case you would need a film cartridge to depress a sensor.

Perhaps the camera is stuck in the middle of a dissolve sequence and is waiting to do the second half of the dissolve? Just some guessing on my part, although anyone who has owned the camera will know much mre than I do, however these cameras have been known to go DOA.

Guest Retrogorilla

Well, it was shipped properly and the seller has a 98.5% good feedback. I'm guessing he wouldn't knowingly ship me a bad product, but who really knows.

I'll fiddle around with some of your suggestions...I did use new batteries, made sure they were all in the right way, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to write out what may be wrong. I hope I hear from the seller soon.

Don't you just hate when crap like this happens? I was so looking forward to getting it!

• Premium Member

One more stab in the dark.

With the camera in the on position and the trigger depressed, slowly turn the camera upside down and back up in a circular fashion. Just in case gravity or an intermittent situation is affecting the camera.

Does the zoom or auto exposure meter work?

Guest Retrogorilla

Well, I've tried everything and unless it's something to do with needing film - looks like I got ripped-off.

There's no power at all - the battery level thingie doesn't register and none of the auto buttons work.

F@%K!!!

I have never heard of a camera needing a cartridge to run, though I could be wrong.

Alessandro's suggestion re: "stuck in the middle of a dissolve" is a good one. Very possible on camera's equipped for this. Investigate that.

Obvious thing to check: battery contacts. Are they clean? Even if they look clean, clean them again. They can develop a slight patina which prevents proper contact.

Also, if it has remote capabilities try running it that way. This will get around possible trigger causes.

Good luck

Rick

Write a nice letter to the seller saying that the camera doesn't seem to be working and ask if they have any suggestions.

It doesn't mean you were ripped off, something else could have happened, see what the seller has to say.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya

Something like this kind of happened to me on eBay too.

I bought my first camera - a Beaulieu 2008s - from a guy in Cali (I'm in PA). The description said it was upgraded to run on cheap AA batteries as opposed to the old rechargable ones that are impossible to find and are usually dead.

When the camera arrived it became apperant that some modification had been made, but that there was no way for me to connect the camera to batteries of any sort.

Now I'm stuck with a camera that may or may not work, and a seller that can only be reached Saturdays and Sundays after 1:30 Pacific Time - maybe.

This was my first eBay purchase and I'm somewhat irked over the seller's lack of description as to that aspect. But, I've done a ton of research, including using this forum, and think I might be ab;e to salvage the ship.

Here's a picture of the hook-up on my camera if you think you could provide suggestions:

http://images.mikekot.com/members/user_images/9-203.JPG

http://images.mikekot.com/members/user_images/9-204.JPG

Guest Retrogorilla

I'm had a recent confirmation that the seller in question is a crook.

I do thank-you all though for the helpful suggestions as to what it might be. As it turns out, it's a dude trying to split the fine line of legalese.

I'll keep you posted as the Paypal verdict comes in and let you all know who to avoid at that point.

I'm had a recent confirmation that the seller in question is a crook.

I do thank-you all though for the helpful suggestions as to what it might be. As it turns out, it's a dude trying to split the fine line of legalese.

I'll keep you posted as the Paypal verdict comes in and let you all know who to avoid at that point.

I bought a nizo 6080 from ebay and that didnt work Once in a blue moon it would suddenly come on I found a workaround Leave the camera on go back to it in 5 minutes and it will be working! I think what it was is the batteries and the voltage being a little two high for its delicate innards..

Just some ideas to try out!

:)

You guys gotta be careful with the eBay.

I've done 50+ transactions, and never been clearly ripped off (I've had a few questionable sellers, but I simply don't deal with those people again), but I've also been careful.

poop happens, but 98.5 is actually not a good feedback rating. I know it seems like it is, but being that I've never seen anything below 88%, I believe, you should have a pretty low tolerance for bad feedback. I just bought a freakin' Les Paul off there. . .quite a bit of money, but the seller had 100% with almost 400 transactions. That is impressive, my friends. Not a single negative or neutral.

I think a good rule is the more expensive the item, the higher chances of getting buggered. Chances are, a guy with 98.something% feedback isn't scamming you for a $20 item. But he probably is for a $1000 item. Higher priced items should equal high feedback. Don't try to get something for nothing. Bite the bullet and hold out for someone with a good rating.

Be careful out there.

Guest Robert Skates

Tron X

The battery adapter on your beaulieu is a 4 pin DIN connector. A good electronics store (not radio shack) should stock these. The pin wiring configuration is something I am not sure of. The adapter on your camera ia fairly common. Watch ebay. I've seen other beaulieu cameras with the same modification. Duall Camera offers cameras with the same connector and batteries as well. You may also want to consult Bjorn A. A forum search should turn up his email address.

Robert Skates

• Premium Member
Tron X

The battery adapter on your beaulieu is a 4 pin DIN connector. A good electronics store (not radio shack) should stock these. The pin wiring configuration is something I am not sure of. The adapter on your camera ia fairly common. Watch ebay. I've seen other beaulieu cameras with the same modification. Duall Camera offers cameras with the same connector and batteries as well. You may also want to consult Bjorn A. A forum search should turn up his email address.

Robert Skates

Digikey, www.digikey.com has them in many different styles. Make certain you're looking at DIN, not miniDIN connectors. Their website can be a bit trying to find stuff on - their search engine assumes you're a knowledgeable electronics industry type. See if they still stock # 275-1001-ND. That's a 4 pin DIN male inline plug made by Singatron. My summer 2005 catalog lists it for $0.56. They charge a handling fee of $5.00 on orders under $25.00. You can always find something to pad an order if only some tools.

Edmond, OK

Hello,

I am the seller of the camera, bought by "Retrogorilla" and I want to tell you my point of view on this matter.

I am no crook, rip-off-artist or anything else, Retrogorilla has called me in his emails. The problem is that the camera has left my home fully working. I did put in a Kodachrome 40 film cartridge and tested the reaction of the light meter, lap dissolve, motor-zoom in two speeds and film transportation in all speeds. I did not find any problems and the camera really worked flawlessly. Because these cameras are over 25 years old, I stated in the item's description that because of the age of the camera I can not offer any warranty. The camera was sold fur US$ 265 - a really low price for a BAUER S 715 XL with the excellent ANGENIEUX lens. I offered it for this price, because I knew that it was not a fully serviced camera.

Now the buyer asks for a full refund on a camera, that I do not have back in my hands and he ask for this refund in a very unpolite and rude manner. How should I react other than turning down his demand? Let us see what PayPal has to say to this unsatisfying affair.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner

Germany

• Premium Member
You guys gotta be careful with the eBay.

I've done 50+ transactions, and never been clearly ripped off (I've had a few questionable sellers, but I simply don't deal with those people again), but I've also been careful.

poop happens, but 98.5 is actually not a good feedback rating. I know it seems like it is, but being that I've never seen anything below 88%, I believe, you should have a pretty low tolerance for bad feedback. I just bought a freakin' Les Paul off there. . .quite a bit of money, but the seller had 100% with almost 400 transactions. That is impressive, my friends. Not a single negative or neutral.

I think a good rule is the more expensive the item, the higher chances of getting buggered. Chances are, a guy with 98.something% feedback isn't scamming you for a $20 item. But he probably is for a $1000 item. Higher priced items should equal high feedback. Don't try to get something for nothing. Bite the bullet and hold out for someone with a good rating.

Be careful out there.

As an ebay buyer, I don't have a 100% rating because from time to time something does go wrong, and sometimes the seller thinks that as long as they offer a refund, they haven't done anything wrong. But if I ask, very nicely, to please pack the item so it doesn't get damaged, and the item arrives poorly packaged, I do take it personally because they ruined something that no longer belongs to them. They've also wasted my time when it comes to my tracking the auction item, which in some instances means times doing a sniper bid at 2 in the morning, for what, so I can see the item arrive with a big dent in it because they used one thin sheet of bubble wrap on an item that weighed 50 pounds! And my initial shipping charges never get picked up, and they've ruined something that is no longer made.

To imply that it's easy to have a 100% rating doesn't really mean anything, if anything it can just mean that some put narcissism over truth, they would rather shut up about bad behavior and not risk getting a negative mark in return for giving a negative mark. Please don't think these people are saints, they are not.

Guest Retrogorilla

I had never experienced a problem in over 200 transactions before. I've been pretty pleased with eBay really, except that it has driven up prices of just about everything.

I've filed a dispute with Paypal and since this seller has a history of selling junk, I'm conifdent I'll be getting my money returned (eventually). Who knows though?? Justice doesn't always seem to favour the victim.

I will definitely be very mindful of feedback when buying a camera in the future.

I have bought and sold things before as well. Sometimes things do happen. I sold a Digital Camera for $1200 and I used it for a week at my work taking pictures, downloading them, etc. I sold the camera to the high bidder, he received it, and then a few hours later it died! I couldn't believe it. But I am paypal protected so I told the customer that he had the option of sending it to paypal and they would reimburse him some of the money and I would pay the difference to him. Well he really loved the camera so he went and had it repaired for $185 and he asked that if I could help him out. No problem. I gave him a $100 and it was settled.

I once purchased a GS-1200 from a man and when it arrived it was not working. I had it repaired and then the seller paid me for half as well.

I have dealt with Heinz and I can say that he is very fair and not a crook. Sometimes things happen. I mean seriously...the equipment we are dealing with is at LEAST 20 years old now. The last time I sold a GS1200 it was perfect. And then of course the Pulse Synce board went out. Ouch. I paid the $380 to get it fixed and the buyer was happy.

Sigh. If only they made new Super 8 equipment this wouldn't happen!

Guest Retrogorilla

Well, based on the fact that another poster here had the exact same experience with Heinz with the exact same model of camera, you can understand my suspicions.

It seems highly unlikely that these cameras were both working when he sent them and miraculously arrived DOA. Yes, poop happens, but when someone claims that the camera has been tested and is fully functioning yet it arrives otherwise, that person should own up to it.

Heinz refused to refund my money under any circumstances and basically it was a situation of "too bad for me". Somehow, that to me just isn't fair nor something I will accept. If eBay allows people to do this, what safeguard would we have as buyers not just for cameras, but for anything? There are far too many people in this world who would take advantage of others.

Had Heinz been professional enough to work with me to solve the problem, I'd have no issue. As it is, he is quite content to hang me out to dry. I immediately filed a dispute when it was apparent he was jerking me around and though you might believe him to be honest or a nice guy, my experience with him has been anything but. I would advise anyone on here NOT to buy from him.

I sympathise with you retrogorilla. I had a similar situation from a seller from Germany (my Nizo arrived with a broken handle), the power zoom didn't work and was nowhere near mint, as decribed. After pressuring Paypal to do something, the seller send me the broken part two months later. E-bay did nothing off course. (Paypal wasn't owned by e-bay back then).

Since then I do not rely on ebay's feeback sytem. Contact the seller before the auction and talk with him on the phone, and base your bidding on that.

Hello,

it simply is not true that the other buyer had exactly the same problem with his camera as Retrogorilla has. His camera was working when it arrived and suddenly the film transportation stopped. Light meter and motor zoom are still working. This is not the same as DOA. Further the other buyer has bought a fully serviced camera and thus I shall take it back and send it to the repair shop, who has done the service to get it fixed again. Then I shall ship the camera back to it's owner for free. This is all I could do and the buyer is completely happy with this solution.

Retrogorilla has been very rude with the things he wrote in his emails and thus I am reacting this way? Why should I be fair and kind, if the buyer does not have any manners at all? In his first email he simply demanded his money back, without giving me the opportunity to check the camera myself. It is very easy to say that something is not working without given the correct proof. I tested the camera myself and thus I am really sure that it was working flawlessly before shipment. I can not refund the money whithout having the camera back in my hands. In his further emails Retrogorilla started getting very offending, calling me a crook, jerk, rip-off artist and many more. Is this fair play or what?

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner

Germany

Guest Retrogorilla

I was told by the other person that he had his camera checked out and they told him it was fried, Heinz. He also said that yes, you'd pay for the repairs (his shop told them it can't be repaired) but you are indeed charging him for the shipping to and fro.

Both cameras suffer from the inability to power on and I can tell you the other person is far from being "completely satisfied". How come you only offered to do this for him 4 months after the fact when I initiated a dispute with my own camera??

With my situation, how is it that i have to pay for shipping costs etc. so you can see for yourself that the damn thing doesn't work?? Then and ONLY THEN you'll theoretically refund my money, but not shipping costs (probably)?! By that logic, you should have sent me the camera BEFORE I paid you. I guess it's only supposed to favour you, apparently.

Quite frankly, I don't trust you and if I sent the camera back I have no way of ensuring you'll do anything at all. I offered to send it back once you have refunded me fully. THIS IS HOW IT IS DONE. I have sold vintage electronics on eBay and would never treat a buyer so poorly.

He only has to pay for shipping the camera back to me. I shall pay for sending the repaired camera to him.

Retrogorilla has bought the camera, knowing that due to the age no warranty was included. This is what the description of my eBay auction said. It simply is not possible to give a warranty for a camera which is over 25 years old. There are no fresh replacement parts available any more and if you fix one fault it is very likely that another fault is occurring only a week later. By the way, PayPal has told me that Retrogorilla will have to send the camera back, before he will get a refund, if he will get a refund at all. This is the risk when buying a camera overseas: The buyer has to pay the shipping fees for sending the packet back.

If you want a warranty I suggest buying a mini dv camcorder at a local retailer.

Edited by uncle.scrooge.mc.duck

Guest Retrogorilla

"This is the risk when buying a camera overseas: The buyer has to pay the shipping fees for sending the packet back."

This just illustrates what a "great guy" you are Heinz.

Pathetic.

If someone bought something from me and it arrived DOA, I'd refund his money and shipping costs - not try and WORM out of every and any responsibility.

DO NOT BUY A CAMERA FROM THIS JERK.

"Retrogorilla has bought the camera, knowing that due to the age no warranty was included. This is what the description of my eBay auction said."

How come you never mention the part right before that where you stated the camera was fully tested and functioning?!

DO NOT BUY A CAMERA FROM THIS JERK

I agree with Alex. Feedback ratings on ebay are somewhat nebulous. As a buyer, I myself have held back from leaving bad feedback because I risk unjust negative feedback in retaliation. In fact, I have always paid in full in a timely manner. But, my feedback rating is marred by a couple of sellers that retaliated when I left them negative feedback. So, I don't do it nearly as often as I should.

To be honest, I find that ebay is a rip-off most of the time. They only way to go is to expect the worst. Be sure to bid low so you have money left over to pay for servicing that a camera will likely require.

The best answer is to buy your camera from a reputable camera store that has serviced and tested all their cameras. A warranty of some sort is key with 20 - 30 year old super 8 cameras. I have found this usually saves me by far the most money in the long run. Especially when you consider the cost of testing, camera service, time spent, etc.

Considering the cost involved to buy a camera, refurbish it, test it with film, provide a warranty, sell it and make a few dollars to pay overhead, I think that camera stores have a pretty hard time competing in today?s market. It would be good of us to consider this and appreciate the fact that they are still willing to offer us an option. Here is the place that I have had good luck with: http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com/Camera.html

Best of luck with your 715.

Guest Retrogorilla

Thanks Mike - I have since purchased one from an on-line store. A few bucks more, but I get peace of mind.

I won't be buying Super 8 equipment off eBay anymore unless it's just a cheap editor or something. Guys like Heinz, who told the other unfortunate Bauer 715 victim that Spectra "didn't know what they were talking about" when they looked at his camera and said it couldn't be fixed, have spoiled it for me for good.

I just hope nobody else on here gets burned by him.