Music Video

Keith Purvis

Hi All,

Love the site by the way.

I just completed my first in what I hope is a long line of music video projects. It's a hip hop video shot very inexpensively on an XL1. I REALLY wanted it to look different than everything else when you think of hip hop.

Please critique. Thanks!

http://www.the-junc-tion.com/brandnew/work_freedom.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I liked it, the style was perfect for the song and its lyrics. The only problem I found was that some of the cuts were jarring. A thing you always have to remember is to only cut when it is motivated. For example if you cut from a close up of his face to a wider shot so you can see him waving his hand that is good. If you just cut from a front to a side view for no reason it jars me out of the viewing experiece. There were only a few of these though, and it was overall a Very good video

• Premium Member
A thing you always have to remember is to only cut when it is motivated. For example if you cut from a close up of his face to a wider shot so you can see him waving his hand that is good. If you just cut from a front to a side view for no reason it jars me out of the viewing experiece.

You probably hated Godard's Breathless, then! :P

A cut can be motivated by anything the filmmaker wants, even something as abstract as an aesthetic. The cuts didn't bother me. I actually wanted more jarring cuts!

The only edits that bothered me were the freeze frames before a cut, but only because it made me think the quicktime playback was "choking." ;)

There needed to be more variation in shot size of the rapper. Some ECU's with just eyes and mouth could have been cool. The live action material looked best when it took on the same graphic-shape quality as the other material. A lot of the live action framing wasn't as graphically strong as the rest of the stuff.

Pretty nice overall, though.