XL2 Examples

Andy Yeomans

Hey,

Does anyone have any links to some music videos, commercials, movies etc. shot on the XL2? I am looking for a wide range of XL2 examples (lighting, lenses, filters etc.). I've seen 28 Days Later and have read the articles, but I want more. I've been impressed with what can be done with some adapaters such as the Mini35, but I want to see it in action with the XL2.

Thanks,

Yeomans

Edited by andyyeomans

Hey,

Does anyone have any links to some music videos, commercials, movies etc. shot on the XL2? I am looking for a wide range of XL2 examples (lighting, lenses, filters etc.). I've seen 28 Days Later and have read the articles, but I want more. I've been impressed with what can be done with some adapaters such as the Mini35, but I want to see it in action with the XL2.

Thanks,

Yeomans

I think there was a zombie movie called DEAD MEN WALKING that was shot with the XL2...It could have been the XL1 though.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey,

Thanks,

Yeomans

The best thing to do is go to IMDB and input Canon XL2, this should give you a list of at least features that have been shot with the XL2.

Guest matthew david burton
The best thing to do is go to IMDB and input Canon XL2, this should give you a list of at least features that have been shot with the XL2.

Heres a video i have posted before on this forum >Click for video<

All shot on xl2, it reached No'8 in uk mtv bass charts :)

-matt

Edited by matthew david burton

• Premium Member

Matt,

Liked the video! I have two questions:

First, how did you manage to avoid the strobe in this video. One of the problems with the XL2 has been the strobe effect in 24P mode?

Second, how did you do the freeze frame of the group with the camera dollying around them in almost 3D like effect?

Thanx!

Nick,

Heres a video i have posted before on this forum >Click for video<

All shot on xl2, it reached No'8 in uk mtv bass charts :)

-matt

Guest matthew david burton

>First, how did you manage to avoid the strobe in this video. One of the problems with the XL2 has been the strobe effect in 24P mode?

Hi Nick hope you are well, I've never had problems strobing with my PAL XL2, but perhaps it has something to do with shooting 25p instead of 24p. Perhaps that one frame a second extra eliminates the strobing i here about.

Besides that i would avoid high shutter speeds over 100/sec just to be safe.

>Second, how did you do the freeze frame of the group with the camera dollying around them in almost 3D like effect?

All done with steadicam flyer, then in post to slow down with after effects and FCP with the twixor plugin. In essence ramping to over 1000/frames a second in post.

Cheers

-matt

Edited by matthew david burton

• Premium Member

Thanx Matt. It looks like a really nice expensive shot!

You got me more curious, so here goes my follow up questions:

1. I checked this plug in, and apparenly it is available for different softwares. Do I need both After Effects and FCP with the plugh in to do the same effect, or can I just use it in my FCP?

2. Also, I am looking into buying a steadicam, and I've been researching both the Flyer and the SK2. Which is better to your knowledge? Have you used any film cameras (like the Arri SR or Aaton LTR or XTR) cameras with either Steadicams?

As for the strobing, I am gonna be using the 30P setting instead of the 24P. I think you're right about the difference between the 24P and 25P

Once again, thanks for your info.

Nick,

>First, how did you manage to avoid the strobe in this video. One of the problems with the XL2 has been the strobe effect in 24P mode?

Hi Nick hope you are well, I've never had problems strobing with my PAL XL2, but perhaps it has something to do with shooting 25p instead of 24p. Perhaps that one frame a second extra eliminates the strobing i here about.

Besides that i would avoid high shutter speeds over 100/sec just to be safe.

>Second, how did you do the freeze frame of the group with the camera dollying around them in almost 3D like effect?

All done with steadicam flyer, then in post to slow down with after effects and FCP with the twixor plugin. In essence ramping to over 1000/frames a second in post.

Cheers

-matt

1. I checked this plug in, and apparenly it is available for different softwares. Do I need both After Effects and FCP with the plugh in to do the same effect, or can I just use it in my FCP?

You can just use FCP but it works a hole lot better in AE be warned. Also twixtor has a pretty steep learning curve but I can help if needs be.

2. Also, I am looking into buying a steadicam, and I've been researching both the Flyer and the SK2. Which is better to your knowledge? Have you used any film cameras (like the Arri SR or Aaton LTR or XTR) cameras with either Steadicams?

Leave sk2 alone, the flyer is fantastic (for dvx's to dsr's) but hasn't really got the load bearing strength for film cameras with follow focus, video taps and video transmitters attached. The new glidecam v25 is best bet in that price range.

Cheers

-matt

Edited by 4mat

Mr Burton,

What set up did you use on the XL2?

Thanks

Yeomans

Hi Mr Yeomans,

I pretty much left the camera stock with no custom presets.

Shooting 25p 16:9 with the canon 3x wide angle at about 90/sec shutter.

As i said before the grading was done in post but working with DV isn't for the faint harted :lol:

Cheers

-matt

Hey Matthew,

I'm curious too about the tracking shot around the group. How did you get the shot so that it appears they remain motionless? (I'm looking at it frame-by-frame, and I think there's more to the process than just ramping and using a plugin.)

Come to think of it ... it almost looks like you're using a time-slicing rig.

Dave

Edited by Dave Wowchuk

Come to think of it ... it almost looks like you're using a time-slicing rig.

Dave

That is a greate compliment indeed.

The only trick to the shot was getting the MC's to stand still in a freeze pose.

It took many takes to get them to stop and freeze and then start again at the right point with the lirics.

Cheers.

-matt

Edited by 4mat

Oh man i'm welling up here :wub:

The flip side is, every client who see's that video now wants the matrix shot on cue :lol:

Dam this would be a lot easyer with a camera array.

Cheers again.

-matt