Shakeboard dolly wheels

Bob Hayes

I have a skateboard dolly from Modern. It has 4 wheels per corner making a total of 16 wheels. I am getting bumping during the move. I think it is because of the wheels going flat while standing. They can be ?rolled out? by moving the dolly back and forth. Do you have any recommendations on different wheels to use? I use the red Modern wheels now.

• Premium Member
I think it is because of the wheels going flat while standing.

An inherent problem to skate wheel dollies.

Somebody makes a version with wheels of different diameters, so they don't all flat-spot at the same point during the move. I guess they feel it's better to have several small bumps rather than one big one...

I wish I could tell you who makes that; I can't even remember where I saw it!

An inherent problem to skate wheel dollies.

Somebody makes a version with wheels of different diameters, so they don't all flat-spot at the same point during the move. I guess they feel it's better to have several small bumps rather than one big one...

I wish I could tell you who makes that; I can't even remember where I saw it!

Losmandy (I have no affiliation - just saw their ad):

http://www.porta-jib.com/porta-glide.htm

I own a set of Jim Charbonneau's "Speed Wheels" and have been fighting the same problem. It's the trade off you have to make. You want a softer wheel to absorb the track joints but a harder wheel to be able to support the weight (generally a Hybrid or Fisher 10 & ops). I just have to roll out the wheels before each take right up till they call 'action' (the focus pullers hate it). I have yet to come across a wheel density that makes everyone happy.

Dave

I assume this is a rig that's not easily unmounted? With mine (not a 35mm or a seat), I never leave it standing/sitting on the wheels and track for very long, I always take it off the track and stand it on its side.

Edited by Shawn Murphy

I assume this is a rig that's not easily unmounted? With mine (not a 35mm or a seat), I never leave it standing/sitting on the wheels and track for very long, I always take it off the track and stand it on its side.

Once I get the camera on the dolly it doesn?t take long for the tire to get flat spots. Also, by rolling the dolly out, it doesn?t take long to smooth it. However, in the rush of production we forget.

Wheels made of hard polyurethane won't get flat spots, but as others have mentioned they are much less forgiving with bumps and flaws in track.

The Porta-Glide works very well, it is a tad pricey compared to other sleds though (most of which are already pricey).

• Premium Member

You obviously haven't seen a Fisher 10! Standing it on it's side would involve at least 2 or 3 big grips. Just putting it on the skateboard wheels take 4 people, so taking it off in between takes would be problematic to say the least.

Check out JLFisher to see pics and specs of the dolly. I believe the dolly weighs about 420 lbs.

You obviously haven't seen a Fisher 10! Standing it on it's side would involve at least 2 or 3 big grips. Just putting it on the skateboard wheels take 4 people, so taking it off in between takes would be problematic to say the least.

Check out JLFisher to see pics and specs of the dolly. I believe the dolly weighs about 420 lbs.

Actually I have seen a Fisher, and a Panther, and a number of the other larger 35mm rigs, what I haven't seen is one called a "Modern", which is what Bob said he had, hence the reason I said "I assume this is a rig that's not easily unmounted". Are you saying the 'modern' that Bob has is of the same weight/load capacity as a Fisher, etc?

Modern Studio Equipment, Inc. is actually a motion picture fabricating company that makes specialized equipment. They make overhead frames, mounting brackets and skateboard wheels for dollies. The wheels for the large style dollies have 32 skateboard wheels. My style has 16 wheels and mounts on the bottom of a piece of plywood. When assembled it probably weighs 30 pounds as apposed to 400 pounds. The lightweight makes it fast to set up and move.

• Premium Member
When assembled it probably weighs 30 pounds as apposed to 400 pounds. The lightweight makes it fast to set up and move.

That also makes it a good "upsatirs" dolly, when shooting on location. Saves having a "dolly party" just to get a little camera movement in that upstairs bedroom...

• Premium Member
Actually I have seen a Fisher, and a Panther, and a number of the other larger 35mm rigs, what I haven't seen is one called a "Modern", which is what Bob said he had, hence the reason I said "I assume this is a rig that's not easily unmounted". Are you saying the 'modern' that Bob has is of the same weight/load capacity as a Fisher, etc?

Whoops. I missed that in his post. Thanks for clearing it up.

I have a skateboard dolly from Modern. It has 4 wheels per corner making a total of 16 wheels. I am getting bumping during the move. I think it is because of the wheels going flat while standing. They can be ?rolled out? by moving the dolly back and forth. Do you have any recommendations on different wheels to use? I use the red Modern wheels now.

what Brand of Wheels do you have on your dolly and what hardness do they have?

Some Skateboardwheels and Rollerskatewheels have a larger rim or core that is hard plastic and just on the outside the uretan, these should suffer less from deformation...(hope so)

for example the wheels on the K2 Rollerskates http://www.skates.com/K2_Xanadoo_roller_skates_p/8400.htm don't know if you get the wheels only...

or the ABEC11 Downhill-Streetlugewheels http://www.longboardshop.de/shop/product_i...ca94322c90bbec0

they come in different hardnesses, the 78a or the 81a shouldn't deform to much

or http://www.longboardshop.de/shop/product_i...ca94322c90bbec0

last week I used a DIY-Skatedolly (4 wheels per corner, total 16) it had the old Kryptonics Rollerskatewheels , they're quiet soft, 72a I think. But no bumping, no flat wheels. We had a SR1, Trypod, Cameraoperator and Focuspuller on the unit... maybe all in all 160-180kg...

• 4 weeks later...

I love my Modern doorway dolly and channel/skateboard wheels setup -- especially when hauling it and the Amarican scissor track onto a rooftop shoot. Clients are always impressed with how solid the setup feels. Now, if I could find a pneumatic arm like on a peewee...

I have a skateboard dolly from Modern. It has 4 wheels per corner making a total of 16 wheels. I am getting bumping during the move. I think it is because of the wheels going flat while standing.

You might also verify that your track isn't deforming and has divets from where the wheels rest.

Another thought, if your corner wheels are not staggered then that can lead to more bump since a pair of wheels must traverse a bump rather than a single wheel.

Edited by Hans Kellner

• 1 month later...

I beleive I can help with this problem. My team and I have developed a wheel that does not flat spot and rolls extreamly smooth and quiet. The formulation can be made in a wide range of diameters and widths to fit any dolly system. Anyone wishing to learn more may e-mail me.

Edited by DollyWheelMan

"I beleive I can help with this problem. My team and I have developed a wheel that does not flat spot and rolls extreamly smooth and quiet. The formulation can be made in a wide range of diameters and widths to fit any dolly system. Anyone wishing to learn more may e-mail me."

Please share!

Dave

I use handmade dolly and crane and can tell you a few my ideas.

I think, the sketboard wheels - toy.

I use 16 wheels, but, this is iron body, two ball bearing on one wheel, wheel have ruber outside.

The polyurethane outside must work good too, but, i not test.

Outside diameter of wheel 50 mm, the rail - aluminum pipe 40 mm

The track of wheel must be from metal - you will have good inertia and

The track must have high precision of position of wheels.

I set a rubber gasket from support car shock-absorber between track and chassis.

Any case, If the dolly have big weight, the move will more stability.

The good seller of wheels : "Blickle rader+Rollen Gmbh".

Thay have big set of wheels.

The next question - harshness of rail and interfacing of rails.

"I beleive I can help with this problem. My team and I have developed a wheel that does not flat spot and rolls extreamly smooth and quiet. The formulation can be made in a wide range of diameters and widths to fit any dolly system. Anyone wishing to learn more may e-mail me."

Please share!

Dave

We had been told flat spotting, noise and rolling resistance were issues with the camera dollies, so we developed a formulation that resolves these issues. We hold several patterns in inline and skateboard wheels and were able to use this technology to develop the wheels. If you can give us the size and style of the wheels you use we can make some up for your application. Please contact Tony Roderick at 401-946-4400 for pricing.

These wheels will not flat spot and have high rebound which helps reduce the rolling resistance and noise. Please note these aren't Skateboard wheels they are made for camera dollies. I will add some photos this weekend.

Regards,

DollyWheelMan (Ray Perry)

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

Your product sounds interesting.My skatewheels are ready for an over-haul(32 wheel trays machined and welded everything myself)Biggest problem is that the wheels seem to have gradually gotten harder over the last 8 years or so,thus I'm in the market for new ones.Was gonna go Witch Doctors/hyper wheels but I know though pretty good,they are not a perfect solution in terms of flat spots and all the other issues that arise.Whats your pricing like and I'm curious where you are in R.I.

Sam K.(key grip nyc)

I am interested in new wheels also. The flat spots and need to roll out the wheels are a pain.

Hi Guys,

I think everone is responding to my post on the wheels that do not flat spot and roll extremely easy and supper quiet. Dave had responded to my post asking me to share , so I did just below his request. Anyone looking for additional information can contact Tony at troderick@mearthane.com or call at 401-946-4400 ext 3041.

Regards,

DollyWheelman (Ray Perry)

I am interested in new wheels also. The flat spots and need to roll out the wheels are a pain.

Hi Guys,

I think everone is responding to my post on the wheels that do not flat spot and roll extremely easy and supper quiet. Dave had responded to my post asking me to share , so I did just below his request. Anyone looking for additional information can contact Tony at troderick@mearthane.com or call at 401-946-4400 ext 3041.

Regards,

Hi Guys,

Regards,

Hi Guys,

Regards,

Resending the photo attachment as it didn't transfer propperly.

post-13069-1150769991.jpg