Color Chart

Nathan D. Lee

In the next month or so I am going to be shooting several tests, mostly for super 8, and some 16. Where is a place I could pick up a color chart to shoot at the head of each roll/location? The ASC Store only had sharpness charts, which are good as well, but I am specifically looking for color.

Or are the colors on the clapper sticks accurate enough for most labs/ transfer facilities? They don?t seem to be too comprehensive.

Thanks

Nathan

Edited by leebob61

• Premium Member
In the next month or so I am going to be shooting several tests, mostly for super 8, and some 16. Where is a place I could pick up a color chart to shoot at the head of each roll/location? The ASC Store only had sharpness charts, which are good as well, but I am specifically looking for color.

Or are the colors on the clapper sticks accurate enough for most labs/ transfer facilities? They don?t seem to be too comprehensive.

Thanks

Nathan

Hi,

Try www.studiodepot.com or sometimes Ebay.

Stephen

• Premium Member

A do-it yourself color chart can be made from the paint chip samples available from paint stores. Choose the colors you are most concerned about, or perhaps for the paints actually used for your sets. Likewise, include actual fabric patches from your costumes.

• Premium Member

Many labs will give away a simple color chart / gray scale to clients who ask for one, mostly as a gray scale (only a few lines of color). But you'd have to buy a Macbeth color chart if you want that. People tend to use gray scales for dailies and Macbeth color charts for tests.

I personally hate the colors on the clapper sticks. When I see the rushes I judge neutral by the slate.

I know the graders do too. During early tests it really is worth getting fabric samples that you can shoot & send bits off to the lab. It's truly astounding how different man made fabrics can look when photograped.