"Career Connection"

HI

I HAVE BEEN WORKING IN THE UK AS A CAMERA TRAINEE AND I SEARCHED THE INTERNET FOR OPPORTUNITIES IN THE US. I CAME ACROSS A SCHEME CALLED CAREER CONNECTION THAT SETS UP NEW ENTRANTS WITH A MENTOR SO THEY CAN SERVE AN APPRENTICESHIP IN THEIR CHOSEN AREA.

.......THE TROUBLE IS IT'S AROUND $6000. <_<

I'D BE INTERESTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANY EXPERIENCE OF APPRENTICES ON THE SCHEME.

WHAT'S EVERYONE'S OPINION ON THIS KIND OF THING?

THEIR ADDRESS IS

www.film-connection.com

THANK YOU!

Vic,

I don't know anything about it, but it sounds suspicious and illogical to me. I don't know or understand how an entity could guarantee such a specialized mentorship when the rule of thumb is to 'go with' folks you know, folks whom can be vouched for. That is unless... they themselves are providing the mentors; which is to say those 'mentors' may not necessarily be connected to the community which you wish to penetrate.

I'd like to share with you a recent experience that I suspect is similarly related. A good friend and prior client called me and told me that she was contacted by William Shatner's production company who were considering covering her business in Shatner's periodic program which highlights different unique businesses across America. Since I normally do her media, she asked me if I would sit in on the meeting. When it was all said and done, we came to find that: 1.) The honor of getting covered costs a few grand. 2.) This program is not regularly programmed by a cable company, it is purchased infomercial time, 3.) There's no gurantee that her segment will be selected to be on the program (infomercial), and consequently introduced by Shatner. 4.) The pay-off is they get to use the 5 minute Beta SP segment for their own uses.

My point is, my friend was let down by a marketing ploy which could have ending up costing her a bundle with an undesired end effect. I'm glad she called me in to ask a few pointed questions.

Just thinkin' out loud here to facilitate the brainstorming process. For that same money, I think you could generate a good promotional package for yourself and have first hand access to the end contact.

Gotta be a scam. And if it wan't what possible reason could there be for it to be $6000! Your best bet is to try and meet people through a site such as this one or just come to LA and spend the $6k on rent while you try to meet people and get work on your own.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep I thought so!

Thanks for your replies and telling me what I already suspected! It's just so difficult to get breaks that this kind of thing starts to look more attractive! Is it still worth giving LA a try or is it just as difficult there - there are so many film schools in the US that I worry the competition would be even greater. I've never been to film school but have trainee experience in TV and loading on a no budget feature.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Vic,

I'm the last one to advise anyone on how to succeed in cinematography. But I may be able to add clarity about one thing. Be sure that this is what you want to do with your life. If it is, why second guess yourself? Just begin. Whatever it takes. For me, it stopped being about money a long time ago. It's about the film. If that's where you're at too, then success is more defined in photographic terms. Survival is just this annoying thing that keeps getting in the way. Deal with it as a seperate issue. Stay focused is what I'm trying to say, I guess. You can waste a lot of time worrying about stuff that is ultimately irrelevant to your path. There are no guarantees. Competition is just your community to be inspired by. Your reel will speak for itself. Don't sweat the small stuff. Hope this helped.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kurt wagner

This is definitely a scam... I know first hand because I applied for the program. Jimi Petulla is the president of this company and he's such an *sshole that it boggles my mind when I think how stupid I had to be to apply for such a thing and how I fell for this poop. I guess I was just too naive and wanted to get into the business.

Basically the program is suppose to set you up with an apprenticeship, but what really happens is that you pay $6000 and they mail you a few books totalling about $100. Some of these books you can find at a bookstore. once they get your money, you don't hear from them. It's been really frustrating trying to call these guys and continuously waiting for a response.

If I ever meet this Jimi Petulla person in person, I'd love to break his jaw. What I'd recommend is looking up some people in the business and ask for an apprenticeship... you'll probably have to work for free, but it sure as hell beats paying for work and then getting ripped off by a con artist.

Also check with www.bbb.com which is the better business bureau before you commit to anything. I found out about this site after I paid those guys at career connection and when I checked this site, I found that a lot of people had filed complaints against his business.

Good luck with your career goals.

Kurt

Thanks for the warning, I'd given up on it really but this makes me sure I've done the right thing.

I'm really sorry you wasted your money, to be honest I would probably be in the same position as you had it not involved more expense of moving to the states.

It won't get your money back but it might me interesting to find out how all those actors and directors feel about appearing on the website with the guy whose meant to be a second AD!!! You should write to them, if they care about film at all then they might be pissed off enough to do something about it.

Unfortunately like Mr Rodriguez said this type of thing isn't isolated.

My problems seem small fry now - I really hope someone gets them shut down.

• 5 years later...

THIS IS NOT A SCAM. Sure you can call up any film studio or production house and try and get an internship but if you can do it, so what? You're just an intern on a long list of other interns that aren’t taken seriously. With Film Connection you go to the front of the line and take their structured course curriculum in Pro Tools and other software and you learn one on one. It really is NOT a scam and it saddens me to read about people trashing it. It worked for me, honest. I was able to learn with a film maker close to home and around my schedule, not the other way around. It's the knowledge you gain in the studio what really matters, not the text based stuff.

I wish I could remember the name of the "organization" that called me a while back. They evidently heard about my book (which could help some of the people on this thread! ;) ) and wanted to shoot a promotional spot to highlight it and "me" to help my career.

That was mighty nice of them. All I'd have to do is go to the "studio" on a Saturday and they'd tape me and a few others that day for their "show." Sounded benevolent enough until she got to the part where I'd have to pay for the studio/production time.

What I found most amusing about it was that they were targeting people who can make their own "media" and commercials and don't need a production company to do it for them for a high cost.

As others have already said, there really isn't a program out there that can truly seriously inject someone into the professional industry. While some filmschools do have some great alumni and professional "connection" opportunities, to my knowledge, there aren't any "formal" programs that really place anyone into situations for mentorships or even real jobs. Almost any knowledge or skill can be learned through some excellent books that are on the shelves for far less money. And the key is to just "get out there" by meeting people and working for free if necessary on student films and other low-budget projects. Internships are a valuable experience for students. The DGA Training program is also a great way to enter the industry if you can get accepted.

There's no need to pay a middle-man thousands of dollars for books or to place you with a "mentor." The odds of being placed with a "mentor" who can really get you anywhere in the industry is slim to none. The people you want to meet are out there working.

The truth is in this industry it's who you know as much as what you know. By mentoring with a recognized professional not only are you gaining valuable information and know how, this mentor can also introduce you to other professionals within the industry. Or he can get you working within a studio that will later take you on themselves. No running around trying to gt your foot in the door. Just go into this with an open mind, thats all A ask and don't merely dismiss it as a con. film connection did not scam, con or hoodwink me.

The truth is in this industry it's who you know as much as what you know. By mentoring with a recognized professional not only are you gaining valuable information and know how, this mentor can also introduce you to other professionals within the industry. Or he can get you working within a studio that will later take you on themselves. No running around trying to gt your foot in the door. Just go into this with an open mind, thats all A ask and don't merely dismiss it as a con. film connection did not scam, con or hoodwink me.

Yawn...

Lost the opportunity to edit previous post..

You know you've got doubtful credentials when the major accrediting organisation, in this case the National Private Schools Accreditation Alliance (NPSAA), is offering to sell you their database!

"..Our database will return the exact information for your mailing, telemarketing campaign, facsimile campaign or demographic research project). Why pay a base "low-ball" base price from the competition, then a have them charge you a fortune for add-on's. We at NPSAA Private School Database Managers offer our complete data file that at includes all available fields for one low price, period. That's right, No add-on's! NPSAA data is just 15 cents for all available fields for each unique record, not 50 to 60 cents each record for pricey add-on's from the competition!.."

http://www.npsag.com/database.htm

It seems that people flame an organization without actually getting all the facts. Have you actually taken the time to look through FC's website properly? Their program here in New York is working out just fine for me. I like the mentoring system and it beats a classroom.

Yes, I had a good look through the website. That's how come I know who the accrediting body is.

If it's working out for you, congratulations, you're one of a select few for whom it actually has.

Please read the Forum Guidelines, full names required of members here.

This is not a scam! In fact, if you are not satisfied, I'll give you 100% of 1/100 of your money back, no questions asked. If you call before midnight tonight, I'll knock off $10.00. Better hurry classes are almost full.

I'm interested in working in film, but have some questions.

Exactly what qualifications are needed to work in film. do I really need a degree? What is the opinion of mentor programs? Do studios recognize mentor programs and are they worth the money? I've heard a lot about places such as film connection, does it live up too the hype? Thanks in advance.

James

I'm interested in working in film, but have some questions.

Exactly what qualifications are needed to work in film. do I really need a degree? What is the opinion of mentor programs? Do studios recognize mentor programs and are they worth the money? I've heard a lot about places such as film connection, does it live up too the hype? Thanks in advance.

James

First, you'll have to change your screenname to your REAL name per the forum rules.

qualifications: nobody cares whether you went to filmschool or not or about any degrees you've earned. It's all about what you know, who knows you, and what those people are aware about what you are capable of.

degree: no, nobody cares.

mentor programs: they can be helpful to some extent, though don't count on them to "get" you real work. If you are in highschool or college, you can benefit from obtaining internships or other volunteer production work in order to truly get your hands dirty in real situations. You'll also be meeting real working professionals who will be part of your "network." The "danger" of mentor programs that you have to pay for is that you're likely going in with TWO expectations. The first is that you'll be "mentored" by experienced professionals who will teach you everything you need to know. The second expectation is that those professionals who are teaching you are placed well enough in the industry to help you actually get work after the program is over. Afterall, if you're purchasing a product like a "mentorship," it likely means that you would also appreciate tangible results because of the time and money you've invested. Because of the unstable nature of the industry, there are no guarantees no matter what the "mentorship" program tells you as you hand over your money. I'm not saying to not do it, I'm just saying that you should go in with realistic expectations.

If there is a "way" to "get into" the business, it is to first learn everything you can about how it all really works. Then, you just jump in and start doing it. For free as a volunteer on student projects if that's what it takes.

• Premium Member

HI

I HAVE BEEN WORKING IN THE UK AS A CAMERA TRAINEE AND I SEARCHED THE INTERNET FOR OPPORTUNITIES IN THE US. I CAME ACROSS A SCHEME CALLED CAREER CONNECTION THAT SETS UP NEW ENTRANTS WITH A MENTOR SO THEY CAN SERVE AN APPRENTICESHIP IN THEIR CHOSEN AREA.

.......THE TROUBLE IS IT'S AROUND $6000. <_<

I'D BE INTERESTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANY EXPERIENCE OF APPRENTICES ON THE SCHEME.

WHAT'S EVERYONE'S OPINION ON THIS KIND OF THING?

THEIR ADDRESS IS

www.film-connection.com

THANK YOU!

My best education came from working on sets and asking questions from those willing to answer. I offered my back and free labor.

Heck, give me 6-grand, and I'll ship my Arri to your home free of charge! I'll throw in a manual and a free roll of film!

• Premium Member

One more thing (sorry for the double posting), but could one of the moderators look into all the new account posters on this thread?

I almost forgot why I left this industry... I feel my acid flowing again. :angry:

• Premium Member

One more thing (sorry for the double posting), but could one of the moderators look into all the new account posters on this thread?

I almost forgot why I left this industry... I feel my acid flowing again. :angry:

Here is a summary from the national BBB website of this company, also known as "Career Connection:"

http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/Career-Connection-13134620

"Complaints allege failure to provide services as represented and not contacting clients to provide assistance. Clients complain that the company fails to issue certificates, provide job placement assistance, or final grades. They also complain that calls are not returned, and unexplained delays occur in starting the mentoring services. The company responds to complaints by agreeing to place client in recording studios, offering to provide job placement assistance, and sending out certificates. In some cases, the company fails to provide explanations as to why services were not originally provided."

• Premium Member

Here is a summary from the national BBB website of this company, also known as "Career Connection:"

"Complaints allege failure to provide services as represented and not contacting clients to provide assistance. Clients complain that the company fails to issue certificates, provide job placement assistance, or final grades. They also complain that calls are not returned, and unexplained delays occur in starting the mentoring services. The company responds to complaints by agreeing to place client in recording studios, offering to provide job placement assistance, and sending out certificates. In some cases, the company fails to provide explanations as to why services were not originally provided."

Thanks Bruce. There're so many goddamn swindlers out there. Not just film, but in any industry, though film seems to attract more than any industry, including selling used cars.

Maybe all you guys that seem to think that the sun shines out of BBB's butthole should read many of the stories that have surfaced in the national news. BBB has been caught, and admitted giving an A- rating to Middle eastern terrorist group HAMAS for quote: Their help in assisting underprivileged youth. Yet they gave Starbucks an F rating simply because Starbucks refused to pay ($425)into their little scheme, as did Prada who also received an F. They are well known for bullying and smearing organizations who refuse to pay them the money. If you don't believe, just google it.

I am a new member. I have read in this forum that some of you suspect that new members are spam. I am not spam. Please remember, your posts show up in the search engines so even thought the forum is “private” the posts are public. So when I saw that you were talking about Film Connection, I had to join and post as I understand that on this thread there has been discussion regarding Film Connection, I would like to draw your attention to the Recording Connection as it is a subject that I know a lot about. I should, I went to the school. If you will I'd like to tell you about my experience, bear in mind I was with Recording Connection, although I have met up with Film Connection students and they are as happy with their program as I am with mine.

First off this place is far from a scam. They get you inside a real recording studio and oversee that you are trained one on one inside a real studio. No money at all is asked for up front. You pay only after you are accepted and feel comfortable with your mentor.

Many say why pay for an Internship? And that is what I originally thought, but the reality is, this is not an Internship, it is an apprenticeship. You are learning from a professional in a real studio from a course curriculum. My Recording Connection mentor is Warren Huart. Look him up. Warren is the Producer of Korn, Better than Ezra, and just about every alternative band at Sony Music. He is also a composer for Grey’s Anatomy, Scrubs, etc.

Look I’m in my 30s and so I’ve been around the block, as I’m sure many of you have. I love the Internet, blogging, and posting in forums, but let’s be real people, NEGATIVE comments in forums and on blogs will always be in the majority because most people don’t post positive things when they are happy. We humans are just not wired that way unfortunately. If there are 5-20 negative comments in this or other forums, Praedo’s Law says there are probably 500 people who loved this school. I am one of them. Is the Recording Connection perfect? No. But it got me in a real studio and I learned under a man (Warren) who is real life music producer. Warren would not have trained me if I knocked on his door cold and asked him for an Internship.

Also, here are some other guys that endorse The Recording Connection and also teach for them in their studios:

TIM PALMER – Produced for U2, Pearl Jam, The Cure, David Bowie

CHRIS SHELDON – Engineered and Produced Liz Phair

JOHN ALTMAN – James Bond Film Composer

BRIAN BLACKWELL – Sony Music Executive for 30 years.

BRIAN LEVI – Engineered for Dwight Yokam

PRESTON BOEBEL – Engineered for Hoobestank, Whitesnake, Clint Mansell

This place is not a scam. If anyone wants to talk to me live about it, post and we can arrange a chat.But please let's keep it polite.

Best Wishes,

Brian Hulnick (Recording Connection Graduate)

Contrary to how some people here feel about film connection, I am totally happy with both my program and my mentor. I love working in this business and connections has helped me.

• Premium Member

Maybe all you guys that seem to think that the sun shines out of BBB's butthole should read many of the stories that have surfaced in the national news. BBB has been caught, and admitted giving an A- rating to Middle eastern terrorist group HAMAS for quote: Their help in assisting underprivileged youth. Yet they gave Starbucks an F rating simply because Starbucks refused to pay ($425)into their little scheme, as did Prada who also received an F. They are well known for bullying and smearing organizations who refuse to pay them the money. If you don't believe, just google it.

I just checked out the BBB website, and I don't see a thing about Starbucks getting a negative rating. The BBB's been around since before I was born. Since the 1900s, for Christ sake.