Uher sound recorder for sync

Jan Weis

Hi there experts,

for sync, can I use a UHER 4000 Report - L and connect it to a Beaulieu R16 via as I understand it the pulse 50hz generator?

I've read in this forum that it will stay synchronize for about a minute, which is definately enough for me. but the quesion is, is it really worth?

Thanks.

//Jan

...for sync, can I use a UHER 4000 Report - L and connect it to a Beaulieu R16 via as I understand it the pulse 50hz generator?...

The 4000 does not have a standard pilot head. The pilot head as on a Nagra or a Uher 1000 Pilot records a push-pull track down the middle of the tape. Lacking a standard track position you will have a heck of a time finding someone who can resolve it (transfer in sync) to another medium. The Beaulieu speeds are not stable, and can not be set accurately in the first place. Without proper resolving, it might hold reasonable sync or you might be out by a ridiculous amount which will consume the rest of your life trying to get it to work. :-)

I think you should read the Pilot & Crystal Sync essay on my website to get a rudimentary idea of the right ways to do it: http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page2.html . Cheers.