Color balance question

• Premium Member

It seems only their newer tubes are 2900 (for the Parabeam, and Divas). I personally think they look disgusting in 2900, because it?s a very pinkish looking light with a strong magenta spike.

That?s why I don't use Divas, because they don't have 3200 globes. I had the Parabeams on a show I did, and I did not like it much. We used it in a few setups and decided to use a Chimera in its place because of the color and quality of light (somewhat subjective).

Maybe they do have 3200 globes for these units, I just haven't seen them.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

I imagine there is some limitation to the choice of phosphors available. With a tungsten filament, you effectively have a "black body" radiator, that just goes up in color temperature as you increase current. With fluorescents, you have a blend of phosphors.

• Premium Member
I personally think they look disgusting in 2900, because it?s a very pinkish looking light with a strong magenta spike .

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

On a TV show I shot we used Divas on most sets, but we were mostly daylight balanced. When we went tungsten we'd usally "O" everything up pretty good anyway.

Bummed to hear there are no 3200 globes for the Divas; I fell in love with the units on that show...

• Premium Member
Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

On a TV show I shot we used Divas on most sets, but we were mostly daylight balanced. When we went tungsten we'd usally "O" everything up pretty good anyway.

Bummed to hear there are no 3200 globes for the Divas; I fell in love with the units on that show...

Hi,

Osram make some 3200 globes for the Divas, Good enough for video, but they have a slight green spike that shows on film.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Is there a specific reason why some kinos are color balanced to 2900k and not tungsten?

I own a diva with daylight tubes... recently had to hire in a tungsten unit on a studio shoot (as for various reasons I couldn't get my kit on the hire) and was surprised by its pinkish tint - you could see it just by looking at it in comparison with a 4bank next to it... I know now if I need to buy tungsten bulbs I'll get the 3200k bulbs not the kino-flo ones...

Rupe Whiteman