K-3 info please??

Landis Tanaka

its not like I can't afford a lightmeter at all, I just can't afford one at this second. I am in a rush because I am going on a professional filming shoot and I just wanted some pointers on exposing. I was told a professional photographer from Freeskier magazine is going to be there too, so I'll just use his light meter.

and I can afford film as well, it just takes me a while to work up the money to afford it. plus I am $200 in debt cause I just bought a tripod cause my last one snapped in half and I need one right now.

I know I probably sound like an idiot but keep in mind that I just picked up film and Im only in 8th grade so I may be a little slow.

• Premium Member
I mean 180. If I shoot 32fps then I would have to have a film speed of 180 for this rule to work, right? or is there a loophole?

If I have 50D film but the closest my shutter will go to is 1/60, will I have to adjust the fstop to 1 stop lower than f16? or higher?

and I want to shoot slow mo. If I were only able to expose with the sunny 16 rule on 24fps then would it work if I just shot 24fps and then slowed it down in final cut pro like 70% or so?

The sunny 16 rule doesn't lock you into any set shutter speed. The sunny 16 rule simply gives you a workable stop and shutter speed combination.

Say, for example, you are shooting 50 speed film outdoors on a sunny. day. The sunny 16 exposure for this would be f16 at 1/50th of a second. Since f-stops and shutter speed are interdependant, the exposure could also be f22 (1 stop closed and double the exposure time) at 1/25th of a second, f11 (1 stop open and 1/2 exposure time) at 1/100th of a second. Going further, it could be f8 at 1/200th, f5.6 at 1/400th, f4 at 1/800th, f2.8 at 1/1600th, f2 at 1/3200th, f32 at 1/15th, f45 at 1/8th of a second.

So, you see that the sunny 16 rule gives you one possible exposure combination, but that allows you to derive other combinations that work better for your conditions.

I was told a professional photographer from Freeskier magazine is going to be there too, so I'll just use his light meter.

I wouldn't count on that. He's a professional and that's a major tool of his trade. Assuming he will be working (and thus being paid) at this shoot, don't count on more than a few words with him except on breaks. He will be busy. Just don't be "that guy" that's just distracting and annoying. :D

I wouldn't count on that. He's a professional and that's a major tool of his trade. Assuming he will be working (and thus being paid) at this shoot, don't count on more than a few words with him except on breaks. He will be busy. Just don't be "that guy" that's just distracting and annoying. :D

I am getting paid just as much as he is, and I hear hes a really nice guy. If we're both sitting in the snow together at the bottom of a kicker I doubt it will be too much a burdon if I ask "Yo, could I use your lightmeter real quick?"

Someone's paying a 14-year-old professional rates to shoot 16mm. without a meter? I wouldn't mind some of that. Unless of course 'as much as' means the same amount of nothing.

Sorry, that sounds a bit sarcastic. But if you're being paid as a professional, you need to deliver the goods or it'll be the first and last time. And you can't deliver the goods without a decent meter.