800T Results!

SSJR

Okay guys so i finished my second 35-mm shoot!

I was amazed after shooting this film stock how little grain there was. I was really happy with the result of this discontinued film stock. I wish they didn't kill it !

Here are some stills from the movie i just shot. I have some of this stuff left. Factory sealed. Please let me know if you would like to take them off my hands :)

David thanks for the tips on the lanterns it worked like a charm!

124559811_9557052108.jpg

124559735_2e53a2d647.jpg

124548882_89bf180bf0.jpg

124551733_7de1e8edda.jpg

126172059_43370d8fe7.jpg

124551724_13ffb9de36.jpg

124548855_a30b6a7893.jpg

124548887_4e8c9083b5.jpg

126205023_8796f7cfd9.jpg

126205081_b3293b1964.jpg

• Premium Member

Very nice images. Is your production a feature or documentary?

For its speed, the Kodak VISION 800T Color Negative Film 5289 was an amazing stock. Yes, it had more graininess than the slower VISION stocks, but with good solid exposure, the film delivered good images. But the new Kodak VISION2 500T Color Negative Film 5218 has such an improvement in image structure that most find it gives better results, even if rated EI-800 with/without push processing.

I just figured out what I don't like about the way modern films look on video. It's not the filmstock, it's the transfers. They just look so clean and perfect.

Here I am looking at what is supose to be a "crappy" emulsion, and I see smooth images that look like progressive video.

Why does nobody use that Kodak teleprint film like Spielberg does, it makes transfers so much more film-like, like prints

• Premium Member
I just figured out what I don't like about the way modern films look on video. It's not the filmstock, it's the transfers. They just look so clean and perfect.

Here I am looking at what is supose to be a "crappy" emulsion, and I see smooth images that look like progressive video.

Why does nobody use that Kodak teleprint film like Spielberg does, it makes transfers so much more film-like, like prints

I've never felt the 5289 was "crappy". As I mentioned, with a good rich exposure, it could yield very good images, albeit with some grain "texture", especially in 16mm.

Yes, quite a few still prefer to do transfers from a print film like Kodak VISION Color Print Teleprint Film 2395:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...1.4.8.4.3&lc=en

Gives a more contrasty image, especially in the shadows. But the trend today seems to be the "smooth" images that hold good detail from shadow to highlight.

I didn't mean crappy in a bad way, I like "crappy" film images. I like newsreel foorage, I like dupes, I like contrasty prints, I like old Ektachrome football footage, I like grainy images etc.

I'm a garbage can for film technology failures. I like it all.

What I ment with "crappy" was grainy and with worse tonality than say brand new 100ISO vision footage.

Gives a more contrasty image, especially in the shadows. But the trend today seems to be the "smooth" images that hold good detail from shadow to highlight.

you said it. I don't object to people having their own ideas, I'm just saying trends are always there, and sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't.

Some of the modern transfers look to me as if, they just took the image as it is from the negative/IP

without gamma corrections, or S-curves applied.

Guest Chainsaw

I have to say that I miss the '89 stock as well. I never really got to utilize it as much as I would have liked. I always felt that it's "graininess" was one of its better attributes. The very last time I shot with it was back in 1999 and it was only because our Art Department ordered the wrong Wildfire paint.

We had a single scene with a black cinderblock wall that was covered with runic symbols painted in Deep Violet Wildfire paint, when we needed them painted in UV Invisible Blue to pull an exposure with the 5285 reversal stock. As the Devil would have it the Deep Violet paint has the least fluorescent properties of any of the Wildfire paints and we only had a single 400w Wildfire fresnel lamp. Needless to say that this mistake wasn't caught until 12 hours before shooting so repainting the set was not an option.

The scene in question was hastily discussed and a new look was chosen for it. I pulled 800' of 5289 out of my fridge and we went for almost a polar opposite look to what we had planned on shooting. The '89 looked utterly fantastic and I don't regret having to use it at all. It was exposed normally and pushed it 2/3 of a stop and tranferred from Beta to a DVCPro50 codec (not my preferred choice) for editing. Here's what we ended up with:

post-377-1144706305.jpg

Camera: Panaflex Gold - Frame Rate: 22fps (transferred @ 24fps) - Shutter Angle: 200 - Filtration: 1/2 White Pro-Mist - Lens: 27mm Primo - T-Stop: 1.9 (bottom)

post-377-1144706599.jpg

It doesn't show here but there is dripping water all over this set from a modified rain rigging.

post-377-1144706723.jpg

Lit from behind with two crossed Baby 5K's and a BJ directly above and behind - from above with an uncorrected 1,200 HMI PAR punched through a Black Silk - from the front with a Mickey Mole boucned off a Showcard painted with fluorescent orange marking paint - the "runes" are lit with a single 400w Wildfire lamp punched through a 4x4 cello.

post-377-1144706767.jpg

The coda from the shot above - there is a lighting change - when the fire starts the two 5K's, the 1,200 PAR, and the Mickey Mole are killed.

This is far from my favorite material but it was great fun to shoot. I would love for Kodak to resume production of this stock. Mr. SSJR has made me realize how much I miss this stuff. I may have to call the DR Group tomorrow and see if I can score some while it's still there for the taking. Or, if SSJR still has those cans I'll gladly give them a good home...

• Premium Member
bucks county, pennsylvania or any other amish community for that matter.

Actually, you can have Amish communities that vary greatly with how they dress and act and how they are perceived to the outside world. There are no standard guidelines as to how the Amish should act/dress/etc. and behavior is dictated by the communities themselves. There are Amish communities in the United States that allow for electricity and, I believe, even automobiles.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it does look quite video like but that is because

1) They are night scenes lit in a diffused way with a low range of f-stops.

2) The lighting setup is quite dull with no use of strong directional lighting like you seen in many films. The lighting setup in these shots is not really taking advantage of the properties of film and is slightly video-like in its diffused spread, keeping every subject and spot within a narrow exposure range.