400' Mag question

Mark Smith

I should know this, but do not...I tried to post it yesterday but it was somehow deleted. If I am using a camera that takes 400' cores, on the take up side, what do i attach the film to? Another core? What size diameter? Etc.

Thanks,

Mark.

Arri SR cameras have a special permament core on the takeup side that is removed before bagging and canning the exposed film. Other cameras (Aaton LTRs, for example) use the same type of plastic core that the factory-fresh stock comes rolled on -- I believe the diameter is 2".

If you ask, labs will often send you spare cores, bags, and cans for the price of shipping.

I should know this, but do not...I tried to post it yesterday but it was somehow deleted. If I am using a camera that takes 400' cores, on the take up side, what do i attach the film to? Another core? What size diameter? Etc.

Thanks,

Mark.

Most newer cameras use collapsible cores, which the film feeds into and is manually clamped secure. Otherwise you just use standard 16mm cores, fold the film 1/8 of an inch or so and hook it into the slot on the core and then wind it around a few times to make sure its nice and tight. If you know what camera you will be using you may be able to locate the manual online and they usually have instructions for mag loading as well.